Creating a workbook from a Tracker spreadsheet that links back to cells within the Tracker spreadsheet

AndyEd

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Within a "Tracker" workbook I have coded for the user to create a folder and populate it with a selection of files (including other workbooks). One of the files is a "Memo" workbook, where the name of this workbook is derived from data in the "Tracker" workbook, i.e. "Memo FileReferenceFolder", where FileReferenceFolder is made up of "FileNumber-FileYear".

FileNumber would be a numerical value from 1 to x. from Cell "A1" in the "Tracker" workbook, and
FileYear would be the current year, i.e. 2024, which is derived from Cell "I1" in the "Tracker" workbook. Cell "I1" contains a full date, i.e. 16/02/2024.

So in the above example the file name would be "Memo 1-2024"

As can hopefully be seen from the below, the code Opens a workbook named "Memo", saves it as "Memo FileReferenceFolder", and closes the 'original' Memo workbook.

In the newly created "Memo FileReferenceFolder", workbook, Cell B11 is populated with a corresponding reference number, i.e. "FileNumber/FileYear", i.e. "1/2024", then that workbook is also closed.

VBA Code:
Workbooks.Open "C:\TEMPLATE\Memo.xlsm"
Workbooks("Memo").SaveAs FileName:=BrowseForFolder & "Memo " & FileReferenceFolder & ".xlsm"
Workbooks("Memo.xlsm").Close

With Workbooks("Memo " & FileReferenceFolder & ".xlsm")
      .Worksheets("Memo").Range("B11") = FileReference
      .Close
End With

Once all work is complete within the files contained within the created folder, a reviewer is notified to check the completed work. The reviewer would then enter their name and date onto the corresponding "Memo" workbook and save it.

Currently someone else then has to open the "Memo" document and manually input the reviewer name and reviewed date into the Tracker workbook, within the relevant Cells.

I am trying to automate this task, so that when the reviewer completes their review, they would execute a command etc. which would populate the "Tracker" workbook with their details and the review date.

Would it be a case of programming a button within the "Memo" workbook to vlookup the relevant reference number (1 to x) and drop the reviewer name and date into the corresponding Cell of the "Tracker" workbook?

I hope this makes sense....

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Looking at it it's going to use the Find method I think.

Upvote 0
Any ideas? Or direction in which to start looking?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back