Find value from one workbook in another

AndyEd

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to be able to copy a cell value from a workbook into a specific cell in another workbook. I've found some info on the internet but can't wrap my head around it and therefore adapt it to get it to work for me. It's so frustrating when you know in your head what you want to do, but can't create code to do it...

Example,
There are multiple similar Workbooks, i.e. "Memo x/2024", where x is a consecutive numerical value. Each "Memo x/2024" Workbook is contained within it's own folder, i.e. "1.2024 - Title summary", "2.2024 - Title summary" and so on.

There is a "Tracker" Workbook which is located at a fixed location, which lists each workstream by Row, i.e. Row2 contains data associated with "1.2024", Row3 with "2.2024" and so on.

In one such "Memo" Workbook, let's call it "Memo 1/2024" the reference number "1/2024" is a text value in Cell B11. There is also a date value in Cell B9.

When the user completes tasks associated with the folder documents, they input a date into the "1.2024 Memo" Workbook (Cell B9) which is the completion date. The reference number in Cell B11 is auto-populated when the Workbook is created.

I have coded for them to be able to send an email from the "Memo" Workbook to a team manager to notify them that the tasks have been completed and the files are ready for review. I would like to be able to send the date value from Cell B9 in the "Memo" Workbook to the appropriate Cell in the "Tracker" Workbook.

Whilst I know how to send the value from one to the other, and understand how to reference the appropriate Column using offset, I am encountering two problems,

1) How do I code to use the reference number of Cell B11 in the "Memo" Workbook, to locate the appropriate Row in the "Tracker" Workbook, searching through Range("B2:B")?
2) How can I update the "Tracker" Workbook regardless of whether it is open.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Ok, I've got this which covers changes made within the same workbook, although I do have a couple of questions...

VBA Code:
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Tracker").Activate

Cells.Find(What:=Me.cboSelectReferenceNumber.value, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas2, LookAt:= _
        xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False _
        , SearchFormat:=False).Activate

With ActiveCell
            .Offset(0, 9).value = Me.cboName.value
        End With

It seems as though I have to Activate the "Tracker" Worksheet? If the code is initiated whilst it is not the active worksheet, the code stalls.

And the 'find' code selects (Activate) the found Cell, which seems appropriate, as I then have to reference that Cell to offset to the Cell where I want to put the data attributed to cboName. So far so good.....?

Is this the best, or only method? I thought 'Selecting' Cells etc. was bad, but perhaps I'm getting confused?

I also have to reference a Cell in ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Tracker") from another Workbook, to copy across information from one to the other, to the appropriate Cell. Will I have to Open ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Tracker") to successfully execute the code, and then Close it again?

What if ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Tracker") is already open?

Sorry if these questions are very basic 😟

Upvote 0
So, I've defined the value in the workbook that the code is being executed. The destination workbook is then opened on the relevant worksheet. I'm then getting the following error when it comes to finding the value.

Code so far.

VBA Code:
Dim Ref As String
    Ref = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Memo").Range("C11")
    Workbooks.Open "filepath"
    Worksheets("Tracker").Range("A1")

I'm getting this error,

Run-time error '1004':
Activate method of Range class failed

At this point,

VBA Code:
Cells.Find(What:=Ref, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas2, LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate

I don't know why?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back