Creating code or conditional formatting to change colour of cell based on values in other cells

ashleynh2011

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out how to make a cell turn a different colour based in column A and row B - is this possible? Here's the visual I'd like to automate
1591977662940.png

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Welcome to the Board!

I think we are going to need a bit more of an explanation. Can you walk us a simple example, in detail, explaining what cells should be colored based on what?

Upvote 0
Give me a bit more info and I will be happy to help as best I can.

Which specific cell do you want to be the trigger?
Which specific cellsshould change as a result?

Upvote 0
Thank you! my apologies...looking back, my post was incredibly vague! Participants are all allocated to a cohort and there are 3 current cohorts at a time who each spend 3 years in the program. Once they complete their 3 years, they are considered alumni. What I wanted to do is completely automate this table which is pulling from another tab which has all this raw data extract from the system. Where you see the total alumni and total current participant lines, I've created a 'SumByColour' function, but now what I want to do is automate how those boxes are coloured. So basically in the table, if the cell is white, they are current participants and if it's grey, they're alumni. The numbers are the top of the image "newest cohort" and "oldest cohort" means that (in the first column) cohorts 3-5 are current participants. I want the cell colour to change to either grey or white for the entire table (organized quarterly by year) based on whether each cell is a current participant or alumni. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Hmm... ok... lets's give this a shot...
Assuming in order like this (Alumni listed first)
Assuming the cell for the Total Alumni Q1 (24 value) is in cell C5 and the first 12 in Q1 is in cell C7...

Conditional format in cell C7
New rule
Based on a formula
=sum(C$7:C7)<=C$5
format the gray colour
Copy your formatting to the other cells... should solve it

Upvote 0
You are my hero, thank you!! The only trouble is, it didn't work for the second table (which I hadn't told you about in my initial post, so my fault). It's the same type of concept, so I thought it would work for the terminations table. Do you know what I would need to change to make it work for that table as well? Here's a more detailed snapshot.

1591982587467.png

Upvote 0
How is this in cell Z11's conditional formatting?
=AND(Z$9>0,OR(SUM(Z$11:Z11)<Z$9,AND(SUM(Z$11:Z11)=Z$9,Z11>0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back