Creating multiple workbooks from a template

AJCT5

Hi Everyone

I have a problem that I am not able to solve as my VBA is not good when having to do more that changing the contents of a workbook! I will post the code I am using so far below but the functionality I require is as follows:
  1. Open a template (has links to a number of SQL tables, one which refreshes upon opening the file which then populates a table. This table provides the user with a list of option to choose one or multiple items from.
  2. Press a button that creates a range from the user selection,
  3. Loop through each member of the range to use the value to refresh the rest of the SQL table connections ,
  4. save the file as a .xlsx (so there is no macro attached)
  5. Remove the database connections
  6. Repeat process for every selection made by the user.

Here is my code:

Code:
Sub Button3_Click()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim MyCell As Range, MyRange As Range

Dim LR As Long

If Dir("P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\", vbDirectory) = "" Then
    MkDir Path:="P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\"

End If

If Dir("P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\Trust Code Files\", vbDirectory) = "" Then
    MkDir Path:="P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\Trust Code Files\"

End If

LR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

'this gets the values for workbook names
Set MyRange = Range("A2:A" & LR).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

For Each MyCell In MyRange

'this populates a cell with the name in the range that the workbook then references for refreshing an MS query
    Worksheets("Front Sheet").Cells(5, 5) = MyCell.Value
    Worksheets("Front Sheet").Cells(5, 6) = MyCell.Offset(, 1).Value
    Worksheets("Front Sheet").Cells(5, 7) = MyCell.Offset(, 2).Value
    Worksheets("Front Sheet").Cells(5, 8) = MyCell.Offset(, 3).Value
    Worksheets("Front Sheet").Cells(5, 9) = MyCell.Offset(, 4).Value

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("B7:D16").Interior.Color = RGB(251, 222, 5) 'light yellow
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("B6:D6").Interior.Color = RGB(255, 192, 0) ' dark yellow

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("E6:E6").Interior.Color = RGB(231, 25, 25) 'dark red
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("E7:G16").Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0) 'light red

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("B17:D17").Interior.Color = RGB(0, 102, 0) 'dark green
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("B18:D32").Interior.Color = RGB(0, 176, 80) 'light green

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("E18:G32").Interior.Color = RGB(0, 88, 154) 'light blue
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").PivotTables("PivotTable3").DataBodyRange.Interior.Color = RGB(0, 88, 154) 'light blue
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").PivotTables("PivotTable3").RowRange.Interior.Color = RGB(0, 88, 154) 'light blue
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Speciality Score Card").Range("E17:G17").Interior.Color = RGB(0, 32, 96) 'dark blue
'       ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Overview Score Card").Range("C1").Copy
'       ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Overview Score Card").Range("C1").PasteSpecial (xlPasteValues)

ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Members").Visible = False
        ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Front Sheet").Visible = False
         Worksheets("Graphs Red Zone").PageSetup.CenterFooter = Worksheets("Overview Score Card").Range("A4:F4").Value
        Worksheets("Graphs Blue Zone").PageSetup.CenterFooter = Worksheets("Overview Score Card").Range("A4:F4").Value
        Worksheets("Graphs Yellow Zone").PageSetup.CenterFooter = Worksheets("Overview Score Card").Range("A4:F4").Value
        Worksheets("Graphs Green Zone").PageSetup.CenterFooter = Worksheets("Overview Score Card").Range("A4:F4").Value

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\" & "CNST - " & MyCell.Value & " " & Format(Now(), "dd-mmm-yyyy") & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="P:\Informatics\S&L scorecards\02 Clinical Scorecards\" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") & "\Trust Code Files\" & MyCell.Offset(, 5).Value & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook

' code here to delete worksheets and delete macro?
  Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Next MyCell

ActiveWorkbook.Close
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

So currently I can do all but number 5. I am guessing that this is because the macro is using the last created file to create another one instead of the files being created from the original template, so if I delete the connections using code to loop through the connections like this:
Code:
Dim xConnect As Object

For Each xConnect In activeworkbook.Connections
                If xConnect.Name <> "ThisWorkbookDataModel" Then xConnect.Delete
        Next xConnect

I end up with the same data for every workbook because the connection was killed in the first iteration.

My skills are such that I am stuck in the chicken/egg scenario.

I would be so grateful for any help I get.

Kind regards

AJCT5

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back