Creating Optimal Pallets from Sales Orders

AdamLeonardo

Hi All,

I have a problem I could use some help with. I am trying to divide sales orders into pallets and haven’t been able to figure this out. I have a decent amount of experience with Excel, but I am by no means an expert.

Our company produces 10 different products that we ship out. Product A can fit 48 units per pallet. Product B can fit 72. Product C can fit 40, etc… We use percentages to determine how much of each product can fit on a pallet. For instance, if we are shipping 16 units of Product A and 12 units of Product B, we would be able to put both on one pallet (16/48 + 12/72 = 50% of a full pallet). We can’t divide the remainder of products between multiple pallets; for example, if we are shipping 142 units of Product A and 76 of Product B, we would have 2 full pallets of 48 units of Product A, 1 pallet of 46 units of A, 1 full pallet of 72 units of B and 1 pallet of 4 units of B. We couldn’t put 1 unit of B with the 46 units of A and then the remaining 3 units of B alone. The B units would have to stay together.

Sales Order
QtyPer PalletQty/PltFull PalletsRemainder (Qty-Full*Per Pallet)% of Pallet
(Remainder/Per Pallet)
Product A110482.2921429%
Product B30720.4203042%
Product C98402.4521845%
Product D2161002.1621616%
Product E72721.00100%

<tbody>
</tbody>

So A, B and C couldn’t go on one pallet because their % adds up to 116%. A, (B or C) and D can go together because they total to less than 100%. We may have a situation where 3 products each make up more than 50% of a pallet and can't be combined.

I need to figure out how to grab a sales order number, populate the required amounts of each product and then automatically palletize the order. I can generate the quantities needed, but haven’t been able to figure out the best way to use Excel to create ideal pallet optimization. I tried the Solver extension, but had issues when the remaining quantities were less than 100% of a pallet. I’ve also run into problems getting multiple products on one pallet where their percentages sum up to less than 100% (1 unit of A, 3 of B, 6 of C…) I really hope I haven’t made this too confusing and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I have a partial solution. Maybe some one can come up with a full solution.

1. Let's say your data is in A6:G10. In H11, enter the formula "=SUMPRODUCT(G6:G10,H6:H10)"

2. Highlight H11 and click at Solver. You want to maximize H11 by changing H6:H10.

3. Enter 11 conditions. Five for H6 to H10 are integers. Six for H6 to H11 are less than or equal to 1.

Now, solver can pick up the combination of the remaining product to maximize the pallet usage.

I said this is a partial solution, not a full solution because it only works if the total remaining percentage is less than 200%. If it is greater than 200%, you need to repeat the above process for each 100%. That is, if the total remaining percentage is 512%, you need to do it a total of four times.

Upvote 0
It seems solver can take array constrains. So, you only need to enter two conditions. H6:H10 are integers and H6:H11 are equal to or less than 1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back