Cumulative total caculation

I&C Tech

Application; Excel 97. I am trying to create a spreadsheet to calculate total gallons of throughput in a system. I have actual flow rate (gpm) streaming into a cell in real-time. I am multiplying that cell by another that has elapsed runtime (min) being inputted. The product of this formula is total gallons. (gpm x min = gallons) The problem occurs when the flow rate is reduced to a lesser value. Excel automatically lowers the product to a new lower value of gallons. In reality, the gallons have already flowed and are not reduced. How do I get Excel to calculate the cumulative total of gallons that have flowed over time independent of the present flow rate?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi Tech.
How often is your data refreshed? Once per minute? Once per second? Variable? I have created a stock tick simulator and can tweak it a bit to process this data instead. You can have it if you like. Assuming I am understanding you correctly? The GPM are being calculated using elapsed time as part of the equation? Elapsed time being the amount of time from one change of data to the next change and so on...? If so, sounds like a good candidate for using a log file and then manipulating the data on demand in Excel.
Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back