Currency and conditional formating

nikolask7

Hi,
I am creating and custom purchases statement that i want to record all my purchases. each row is an item purchased. however i have items purchased in USD,EUR and GBP.

In one column i have this information (USD,EUR or GBP). i want the next column with the amount to change to currency format ($,€,£) based on previous cell.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi,
for me the easiest option would be to have a third column with IF statements and TEXT() function to apply the desired format.
something like =IF(A1="USD",TEXT(B1,"$0.00"),IF(A1="EUR",TEXT(B1,"€0.00"),IF(A1="GBP",TEXT(B1,"£0.00"))))
This should work OK for two or three different currencies.

However if you want to be more flexible i would suggest creating a small table wit two columns - currency abbreviation on the left and symbol on the right.
then instead if several IF() statements a VLOOKUP can be used to add the symbol you need. something like:
=TEXT(B1,Vlookup(A1,X1:Y10,2,0)&"0.00")

hope this helps

Upvote 0
This was actually big help. thank you for this

but if i multiply this by cell that contains quantity it does not work. for instance i tried the following
=(IF(A1="USD",TEXT(B1,"$0.00"),IF(A1="EUR",TEXT(B1,"€0.00"),IF(A1="GBP",TEXT(B1,"£0.00")))))*C1
=(IF(A1*C1="USD",TEXT(B1,"$0.00"),IF(A1*C1="EUR",TEXT(B1,"€0.00"),IF(A1*C1="GBP",TEXT(B1,"£0.00")))))

how can i have the same formating effect but being able to multiply this?

Upvote 0
Well sorry bout that :eek: the result of TEXT() is a formatted string/text data type - it is not a number. So unless you really want to make some long and complicated formulas to extract the number, i would suggest to use the real number in the previous (source) column B for any further calculations.
For the above formula to work correctly, you must change it like this:
=(IF(A1="USD",TEXT(B1*C1,"$0.00"),IF(A1="EUR",TEXT(B1*C1,"€0.00"),IF(A1="GBP",TEXT(B1*C1,"£0.00")))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wingedshoes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back