Custom Ribbon Menu Tab Group in 2013

vthokienj

Board Regular
I have a file where I create my own custom tab group using the Custom UI Editor. The tab group does not display when opened with Excel 2013.
I've read about the differences between 2007 and 2010/2013 and it seems like there should be no issue with this file. The XML code is added an an 'Office 2010 Custom UI Part' so it is in the customUI14.xml file, as opposed to the customUI.xml for earlier Excel versions.

The code I am using is below. If I put this code in the customUI.xml and change the 2009/07 part to 2006/01 it displays correctly in Excel 2007.

Thanks for any help.
HTML:
<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?--><Z?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" >
  <ribbon startFromScratch="true">
    <tabs>
      <tab id="tabMyCustomCharts" label="My Charts">

<group id="groupCriteria" label="Charts">
          <button id="btnObjectives" label="Objectives"
                  image="charts" size="large"             
                  onAction="RibbonMenuCharts_ClickHandler" />
        </group>

</tab>
    </tabs>
  </ribbon>
</customUI>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that is a good thought, but I tried removing the space and it had no effect.

The exact file that this code is in is what works on half the systems.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
It's possible that a group policy has been enforced to disable UI customisations by Office 2013 documents which are loaded. Worth checking it with your IT helpdesk?

Upvote 0
Getting the ribbon to show has little to do with macro settings - it's part of the workbook structure. If you turn on the setting I mentioned previously, it might provide a message to pinpoint the issue.

Also disable any addins and COM addins on the problem machines. Try starting Excel in safemode.

Upvote 0
Thanks Tracy. Not sure how I missed this the first time, but I tried your suggestion and I do receive an error message indicating that the custom UI is disabled because of policy. So that should pretty clearly identify the problem. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Is there a chance you can send me a screengrab of the error dialog box? I've never seen it before and would like to include it in the next revision of my book. And since I don't work corporate, I'm not sure how/if I can duplicate the environment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back