Data and chart on separate sheets

dhayesdh

A question, if I may: my data, and a chart of the data, is in sheet 7 of a workbook. I have a macro that redraws the chart as the data changes. (I set some cells to generate random numbers on 'calculate' command in the macro) . The macro references sheet 7 and the data. For viewing purposes, however, I copied the chart to sheet 8 so that I could increase its size. Now, when I'm in sheet 8 and I run the macro I get a Run-time error '1004': Select method of Range class failed. My guess is that, since sheet references in the macro are to sheet 7, that the macro can't execute when I am looking at sheet 8. Is there any simple way to get the macro to execute when I'm looking at sheet 8 and all the data changes are happening in sheet 7? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Donald Hayes
Deleted by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Data and chart on separate sheets
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Here is a simplified version of my code, but the issue/problem is the same. The data and code is set up on Sheet 1. The data is 4 cells (A1:A4). Each cell generates a random number =<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:stockticker>RAND</st1:stockticker></st1:place>()*(10-1)+1. A simple scatter chart on Sheet 1 plots the data which I copy as values only to A7:A10, and the chart updates each time the macro is executed. I can execute from the VBA editor or a custom button/toolbar to which I have assigned the macro. The problem is that if I copy the chart to sheet 2, and activate sheet 2 for viewing purposes, the macro produces a 400 error if executed from the button, and a Run-time error ‘1004’ if executed from the VBA editor. In other words, the macro does not execute when I am looking at sheet 2. I even copied the code into the sheet 2 space for code in the VBA editor, and tried to execute from there, while looking at sheet 2. Nothing. No error, but also neither sheet 1 updated nor sheet 2. Therefore, in conclusion, there seems to be no connection between sheet 1 and sheet 2 when it comes to this macro. Can someone explain what is going on? What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
Rich (BB code):
Rich (BB code):
Rich (BB code):
Public ro, ro1, col
Sub mrexcel()
'
' mrexcel Macro
' Macro recorded <st1:date Month="4" Day="4" Year="2011">4/4/2011</st1:date> by administrator
<o:p> </o:p>
ro = 1
ro1 = 7
    col = 1
    Calculate
line1:       Cells(ro, col).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Cells(ro1, col).Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    ro1 = ro1 + 1
    ro = ro + 1
    If ro > 4 Then
    End
    Else
    End If
    GoTo line1
End Sub

Upvote 0
OK. Because you moved it, you need to add additional code to your macro. The first Sheets line will move you back to the page for the macro to run correctly. The one at the end will move you back to your chart page. Modify the "Sheet 1/2" to fit your usage.

-Tex

Rich (BB code):
Public ro, ro1, col
Sub mrexcel()
'
' mrexcel Macro
' Macro recorded <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="2011" Day="4" Month="4">4/4/2011</st1:date> by administrator
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Sheets("Sheet 1").Select
ro = 1
ro1 = 7
    col = 1
    Calculate
line1:       Cells(ro, col).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Cells(ro1, col).Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    ro1 = ro1 + 1
    ro = ro + 1
    If ro > 4 Then
    End
    Else
    End If
    GoTo line1
    Sheets("Sheet 2").Select

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back