Data Between 2 Double Spaces

bobgrand

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

Our system generates a report that puts double spaces between each column of data. Material#, Description1, Description2, Description3. All of this data is in column A. I am struggling trying to get these into their own column. So I would need Material# in Column B, Desc1 in Column C, Desc2 in Column D and Desc3 in Column E.

Any help is always appreciated

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Are you saying that there is two spaces between each field?
If so, then perhaps you can do a Find/Replace, replacing TWO spaces with something like a ~
Then, you select that column, go to the Data menu and select "Text to Columns", choose the "Delimited" option, and enter a ~ in the "Other" box, and click Finish.
This should separate them all into their own columns.

Upvote 0
Use Data, then Text to Columns.
Select Delimited
Click Next
Check Space as the delimiter. Make sure the box that says Treat Consecutive Delimiters as one is checked.
Click Finish
Good point - as long as there aren't any single spaces that aren't the part of any delimiter, you could cut out the extra step I proposed about changing the delimiter.
If some headers might have multiple words with single spaces between them, then you would need to do something like what I proposed.
But if your example of column headers is accurate and complete, you should be fine using Scott's shorter version.

Upvote 0
Good point - as long as there aren't any single spaces that aren't the part of any delimiter, you could cut out the extra step I proposed about changing the delimiter.
If some headers might have multiple words with single spaces between them, then you would need to do something like what I proposed.
But if your example of column headers is accurate and complete, you should be fine using Scott's shorter version.
I deleted it because I realized that

Upvote 0
I deleted it because I realized that
They don't seem to be showing any not delimiter spaces in their example, so I think your solution should work, if that is in-fact accurate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back