Data not being shown correctly from scanned QR code

aphrogirl2002

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to track event attendance by using QR codes on nametags. When scanned I simply want it to record the person's name on a spreadsheet. I created the codes, scanned them, and the names have been recorded correctly. But now that I have received the name badges from our vendor that contain the code, they are not formating correctly. If one of the scans should read "Carmen Rivera" it is now being shown as "MECARD:N:Carmen Rivera;;" The vendor says the issue is not on their end, there are no problems with the code. Is there something happening on the Excel end that could be impacting the way the data is shown?

Attachments

• qrcodeerror.png
    qrcodeerror.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 3

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
the names have been recorded correctly.
BUT you are showing in the image
"MECARD:N: then the name

what did you send them

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Data not being shown correctly from scanned QR code
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
i dont know what they did - i have scanned and copied to notes - also scanned with the APP scan to excel , and seems to have worked OK
BUT not an expert here - so hopefully another member may have more experiance with QRcodes and excel
i have setup quite a few for business , on websites, and flyers and they work fine
"Carmen Rivera" it is now being shown as "MECARD:N:Carmen Rivera;;" The vendor says the issue is not on their end, there are no problems with the code. Is there something happening on the Excel end that could be impacting the way the data is shown?
i'm probably not following exactly
how excel is involved here

I have used MECARD before, so it sets up as a card that will go into peoples contact list on a phone like a vcard which gives more details , address etc

Upvote 0
i dont know what they did - i have scanned and copied to notes - also scanned with the APP scan to excel , and seems to have worked OK
BUT not an expert here - so hopefully another member may have more experiance with QRcodes and excel
i have setup quite a few for business , on websites, and flyers and they work fine

i'm probably not following exactly
how excel is involved here

I have used MECARD before, so it sets up as a card that will go into peoples contact list on a phone like a vcard which gives more details , address etc
Hello and thank you for your response. The QR Code was created in Canva. We are not trying to utilize MECARD. Maybe somehow the Excel spreadsheet thinks we are?

Upvote 0
Excel is involved because that is where the scanned data is being populated. We are using a scanner and inserting a dongle into the computer. The QR code is being scanned and the info from that code is being populated onto an Excel spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
If you can use macros enabled workbook - see my second answer in Data not being shown correctly from scanned QR code if you cannot - see my first answer there. By the way: for the first answer - if you put your data in Excel table (Insert->Table) then it will automatically expand down and you don't have to prepare very long column B to accomodate increasing number of names in column A

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back