Data set too complex for graph---Really? Too complex for Excel 2007?

JET_Fusion

Error: “The data range is too complex to be displayed. If a new range is selected, it will replace all of the series in the Series panel.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Problem: The graph is blank when the data set includes empty and non-empty data. If I reduce the data set to include cells with only non-empty value, the graph works. <o:p></o:p>
How can this possibly be, any suggestions?<o:p></o:p>
Graph Type: X-Y scatter with connected dots<o:p></o:p>
x-axis is a single column range with 300 entries, values are non-negative rational numbers or empty<o:p></o:p>
y-axis is a single column range with 300 entries, values are date (m/d/y) or empty<o:p></o:p>
Each column contains formulas <o:p></o:p>
Each row represents a data point, <o:p></o:p>
each data point begins with an empty value, <o:p></o:p>
each the data set grows by one or two a day<o:p></o:p>
********************<o:p></o:p>
What I’m doing.<o:p></o:p>
I have a data entry list that is update at least once a day. This data entry includes three parts (1) a date, (2) a calculated value, and (3) entered value. The date is used for both of the other data sets. Data entry requires a date, but not both of the other. As a consequence, I am using a reordering technique to align the data into consecutive rows. The graph is based upon the column with the consecutive rows. <o:p></o:p>
[In other words: data entry into columns A,B,C; column D to determine entry value either empty or non-empty (1,0); column E is sequential order of desired rows with corresponding empty rows adding zero to the count; column F counts only the non-empty rows, thus removing repeated count numbers; column G list of sequentially numbered columns; column H contains OFFSET() formula with embedded MATCH() that compares sequential ordered list to find desired data point for desired position and then offsets to the desired point. This formula also contains a single IF/THEN and the ISERROR() to display an empty cell with the list of non-empty cells in the column. Here’s an example of the formula.<o:p></o:p>
=IF(ISERROR(OFFSET($FK$7:$FK$302,MATCH(BE303,$BD$6:$BD$302,0)-1,0,1,1))=TRUE,"",OFFSET($FK$7:$FK$302,MATCH(BE303,$BD$6:$BD$302,0)-1,0,1,1))<o:p></o:p>
The result works beautifully, except for the graph. I wanted to take advantage of the fact that a X-Y Scatter graph won’t display empty cells in the graph string, so that as the data set grew so did the graph. <o:p></o:p>

---JET_Fusion

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I get the same error message "The data range is too complex.." and find your discovery of 'empty cells' interesting. I will check it out. My calcualations and graph work in Excel 2000 so why the problem in the newer version? and is Excel 2007 going to be fixed?

Upvote 0
2007 uses a completely new charting engine and there are a few bugs in it, especially if you haven't applied SP2. Your second question is a little vague, so the answer is yes and no. ;)

Upvote 0
I was never able to identify the exact problem, I didn't have the time back then for proper troubleshooting, but I stopped receiving the error after I reduced some of the columns (and their associated basic formulas) and stopped using a few of the Defined Names. I suspect the Defined Names were the root of the problem. None of the Defined Names were used directly in the formulas that were being graphed, they were a few steps removed.

I suggest looking at the indirect formulas, something might be off.

---JET_Fusion

Upvote 0
In reply to Jet Fusion
I did find that under Formulas there were two Defined names. Oddly enough they were the non compatible feature in 2000 for defining a print area. I guess this feature is no longer supported in 2007 nor does there seem to be any equivalent.
I deleted both print area defined names and still get the "too complex message when trying to edit source data for the graphs.
What to try next?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back