Data source names changes daily (by date) can I have a formula what will pull newest file data?

rmitnick

Hello:
I have a daily report that pulls from external data sources (other excel files created by other users). Each day a new file is created, the naming convention is the same except for the date. An example would be : Consolidated Cash Report Summary AR100233D 2014 0319v.xlsx Tomorrow the only change will be 2014 0320v towards the end. The date will always be today's date. is there a way, through concatenate or other method to pull data daily from a different dated source?

Full source path example:
='T:\Performance & Analytics\Analyst\03.0 Client - LOB\BVD\John Smith\00 - Consolidated Cash Reports\[LHP Consolidated Cash Report Summary AR100233D 2014 0319v.xlsx]Facility Summary'!$Q$14

I would prefer to NOT have to modify the date portion of the file name daily. The cells/tab names I reference don't change.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You can use the INDIRECT function, but the source workbook must be open.

Thank you, Andrew. I was trying to avoid having the file open since I'm pulling from multiple sources (all similarly named). but if this is the best I can do, it's better than what I am doing now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back