Data Validation and What if Sums

Mr Wolfe

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for someone to point me in the right Direction,

I'm not sure of the right question to ask to get the answer i need.

but basically,

I want to look at the data from one table and then based on a criteria, reference available cells that fit that criteria and then populate information into another table.

Spanning 2 work sheets. in the same work book.

I tried my best to show my situation below,

I have tried a Sum if approach, however am failing to understand how to populate the Name in Table 2 and the Price next to it from table 3's Data - Matching the filtering criteria.

Table 1Table 2Table 3 (in worksheet 2)
WidthDepthDesignCostStarterFullDesign/NameWidthDepthCost
9​
24​
Provide filtered list (names - Column A) of (Sheet 2's) table 3's width & depth (column) (row) that is within/below table ones parametersProvide Tables 3's (as selected at the column to the lefts) Specific Cost to that particular row item.I can populate this requirementI can populate this requirement
15​
24​
"For example - In Worksheet 2's table - Row 7,10,23's Column A, shows as a drop down list in this cell because in those rows column c's & d's (width and depth are lower than what is shown in table 1's width and depth column""For example - if row 7's column A is selected, then Row 7's Column D (which is the price column - Automatically populates here"
11.5​
27.6​
""""
9​
24​
""""
9​
24​
""""
9​
24​
""""
14​
24​
""""
14​
24​
""""
18.5​
24​
""""
9​
24​
""""
14​
24​
""""
14​
24​
""""
14​
24​
""""
19​
24​
""""

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Im not expecting someone to do the above for me, could you at the very least even point me towards a youtube tutorial with the same type of scenario,

just dont know what it is exactly i need to learn,

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
The 'Design' dropdown in table 2 will require dynamic validation lists, if such things could be created on the fly by use of array formulas then that would possibly be a way to make it work.
Current versions of excel do not allow this, meaning that dynamic lists have to be created in worksheet tables for validation to refer to as a static range.

This means that you would need to create a table for each possible pair of criteria in table 1 (not just those in the current list, but all possible combinations).

The only alternative would be to populate the dropdowns on the fly as delimited lists using vba to compare W & D in table 1 to those in table 3.

That is assuming that I'm understanding the question correctly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eva146

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back