Skysurfer

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,

I have created table where one field (a column of 100 rows) contains data validation. If the user enters the wrong selection in one of those cells, a cell on another sheet (named "CashAdvanceErrorTrigger") calculates to TRUE (there is an error). That triggers a msgbox poping up explaining the error to the user.

Problem is that the msgbox macro runs twice when triggered. It runs normally when I remove the data validation. So, something about data validation double fires the macro.

Here's my simple code that's in the sheet where the TRUE/FALSE calculation cell is located:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

'   Trigger msgbox on user entering an expense category for a cash advance
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

If Sheet4.Range("CashAdvanceErrorTrigger").Value = True Then

MsgBox "A cash advance is not an expense." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "For a cash advance, please select the '--'" & vbNewLine & "in the Expense Category dropdown box.", vbExclamation, "Input Error"

End If

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Thanks for any guidance!

Lawrence

Oh man, I'm so sorry...I should have repeated the 100 validation cells were in a column/field of a data table.

But, I did comment out the calc lines and still had the issue. I also commented out the EnableEvents lines and it didn't work either.

Do you think my 'barbaric' solution above is sane? Alternatively, I could convert the table to range in the macro, run the msgbox, then recreate the table. But that seems risky. This tine, little code is quite a logic challenge.

Lawrence

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Oh man, I'm so sorry...I should have repeated the 100 validation cells were in a column/field of a data table.

But, I did comment out the calc lines and still had the issue. I also commented out the EnableEvents lines and it didn't work either.

Do you think my 'barbaric' solution above is sane? Alternatively, I could convert the table to range in the macro, run the msgbox, then recreate the table. But that seems risky. This tine, little code is quite a logic challenge.

Lawrence
I can't reproduce the problem: if I comment out both calc lines, and leave calc set to auto I only get a single appearance of the message box when my validation cells are in a table.

I see nothing risky about toggling the table to a range and back again, but then I'm not familiar with the content of those tables. Certainly, it's easy enough to try it.

Upvote 0
For future reference, I'm posting a solution to this problem. And sending out a special thank you to Joe for his time.

To stop looping through the code twice, I created a static variable that VBA can remember even after the macro exits. That variable increments by 1 when the macro runs the first time. On the 2nd run (triggering) of the macro, if the variable is greater than zero (meaning the macro has already run), the static variable to reset to zero and the macro exits.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

'   Create static variable to stop looping thru macro more than once
'   caused by data validation residing in a table which forces macro to run twice
    Static s As Integer

s = s + 1

If s > 1 Then
        End 'If macro run once then reset s = 0 and exit macro
        Exit Sub
    Else
'       Trigger msgbox on user entering an expense category for a cash advance
        If Sheet4.Range("CashAdvanceErrorTrigger").Value = True Then

msgboxCashAdvanceErrorInput

End If
    End If

End Sub

Lawrence

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back