Data Validation Drop-downs Filled by VLOOKUP of Two-column Table

changeling jack

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, all:

I am attempting to build an inventory spreadsheet in Excel 2013 on Windows 7. I apologize if this has been covered in detail before, but a search of the boards and the rest of the internet yielded me nothing.

I have generated named tables and ranges on Sheet 2 which fill drop-downs on a table "End of Shift Inventory" on Sheet 1 through data validation. What I am having trouble with is getting the drop-down in Column B to fill dependant on the contents of Column A which have been selected from the DV drop-down.

End of Shift Inventory
AB
CustomerDrink
Vault-TecNuka-Cola Quan-tum

<tbody>
</tbody>

The tables on Sheet 2 are "Customers", "Drinks", and "Drinks by Customer". The tables "Customers" and "Drinks" are named ranges which only exist for the purpose of data validation in "Drinks by Customer".
"Customers" (Red Racer, RobCo Industries and Vault-Tec),
"Drinks" (Nuka-Cola, Nuka-Cola Quan-Tum, Sunset Sarsaparilla and Water), and
"Drinks by Customers" which is a two-column named range (rng_Drinks_by_Customer) with an entry for each drink that a customer receives:

Drinks by Customer
CustomerDrink
Red RacerNuka-Cola
RobCo IndustriesNuka-Cola
RobCo IndustriesSunset Sarsaparilla
Vault-TecNuka-Cola
Vault-TecNuka-Cola Quan-Tum
Vault-TecWater

<tbody>
</tbody>

I wanted to use VLOOKUP to list the drinks which are in the cell next to any instance of the customer name, something along the lines of =VLOOKUP($A$2,rng_Drinks_by_Customer,2,FALSE). This would keep me from having to create new columns every time we add a customer and have endless columns trailing off to the right.

I was told this was possible by a previous employee who somehow managed to make this work on another spreadsheet which has since evaporated so I can't find his method (if this is truly what he ended up doing).

Is this at all possible? Or, do you have any better ideas which don't involve coding in VB?

Thanks much,

Jacob

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pertotal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back