Data validation limits

pigeony68

Hi, can somebody help me please.
I am trying to creat data validation drop downlists using the "if" function,
in cell "a1" there are 27 variables and i have no problem with that its fine, but i want a diffent drop down list to appear depanding what is selected in "a1". For some reason i can only do 9 nested if functions in the data validation before it appears that i have run out of typing space, does anyone have any suggestions please. Bewlow is an example of the type and length of formula that i am trying to fit in.

=IF(F15=Table41[[#Headers],[Andrew Pollock]],Table41[Andrew Pollock],IF(F15=Table40[[#Headers],[Adrian Brookes]],Table40[Adrian Brookes],IF(F15=Table39[[#Headers],[Arun Bejugam]],Table39[Arun Bejugam],IF(F15=Table38[[#Headers],[Corinne Lewis]],Table38[Corinne Lewis],IF(F15=Table37[[#Headers],[Dean Edney]],Table37[Dean Edney],IF(F15=Table36[[#Headers],[Dominique Ritchie]],Table36[Dominique Ritchie],IF(F15=Table35[[#Headers],[Fran Vaughan]],Table35[Fran Vaughan],IF(F15=Table34[[#Headers],[Hemant Kalidas]],Table34[Hemant Kalidas],IF(F15=Table33[[#Headers],[Ian Plaistow]],Table33[Ian Plaistow],IF(F15=Table32[[#Headers],[John Bell]],Table32[John Bell],IF(F15=Table31[[#Headers],[John Elnaugh]],Table31[John Elnaugh],IF(F15=Table30[[#Headers],[John Johnstone]],Table30[John Johnstone],IF(F15=Table29[[#Headers],[Karen Hicks]],Table29[Karen Hicks],IF(F15=Table28[[#Headers],[Karl Adams]],Table28[Karl Adams],IF(F15=Table27[[#Headers],[Keith Whitehead]],Table27[Keith Whitehead],IF(F15=Table26[[#Headers],[Linda Cawthorne]],Table26[Linda Cawthorne],IF(F15=Table25[[#Headers],[Mandy Blackwood]],Table25[Mandy Blackwood],IF(F15=Table24[[#Headers],[Mata Gupta]],Table24[Mata Gupta],IF(F15=Table23[[#Headers],[Nick Kumar]],Table23[Nick Kumar],IF(F15=Table22[[#Headers],[Nicky Baker]],Table22[Nicky Baker],IF(F15=Table21[[#Headers],[Paul Anderson]],Table21[Paul Anderson],IF(F15=Table20[[#Headers],[Phil Hills]],Table20[Phil Hills],IF(F15=Table17[[#Headers],[Rana Ashraf]],Table17[Rana Ashraf],IF(F15=Table19[[#Headers],[Raudy Lockhart]],Table19[Raudy Lockhart],IF(F15=Table13[[#Headers],[Rebeca Thomas]],Table13[Rebeca Thomas],IF(F15=Table11[[#Headers],[Roy Dillon]],Table11[Roy Dillon],IF(F15=Table8[[#Headers],[Vicki Parnell]],Table8[Vicki Parnell],"")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Sorry, this isn't clear.

Are you saying you want to create two drop down lists ?
1 in a1, which you have, and one in some other cell, whose options will be determined by the choices made in A1 ?

Upvote 0
The names in the formula are team managers and the all have different people working for them, when the team managers name is selected in cell "a1" i want data validation to only display there team members. i have also just been playing around with trying to put the hlookup formula in the custom data validation with no joy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back