Data validation list: create dynamic filter based on table values

confuselocated

Hi

I haven't been able to find an explanation for the formula I'm trying to create, and hope someone can help. I am trying to build a food planner spreadsheet.

I have a table with two columns called NAME and TYPE. The NAME column contains food names (e.g. beef, cucumber, banana), and the TYPE column contains categories (e.g. Meat, Vegetable, Fruit).

I have a different table in which I will build meals, so there are columns called MEAT, VEGETABLE 1, VEGETABLE 2, and DESSERT.

For the MEAT column of the second table I would like a data validated list to look at the TYPE column in the first table and create a list with only those types of food that are categorised as 'Meat'. I would repeat this for the other columns and modify the function appropriately.

I can return one correct result using this:

=INDEX(Table1,MATCH("MEAT",FOODTYPE,FALSE),1)

This returned the value of "Steak" which was in the referenced cell. But I cannot create a list of all of the other food types, and this function doesn't work when I paste it in to the data validation box. I hope someone can help :)

Thanks

CL

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back