Date assistance formula

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I am attempting to do an index match formula which is using a date element. The issue I am having is that the date in one sheet is stated as Jun-2024 format type General (below) and on another sheet I have Jun-24 but this is listed as 28/06/2024 but has been formatted as mmm-yy showing as Jun-24. Although they may be a match cosmetically I am assuming the lookup is not working due to them not being the same date as such. Is there a way I can make the dates match within the lookup to get the desired result ?

(no issues within constructing the index match formula itself just within the second match aspect of getting dates to match)

1699971767780.png

1699972077015.png

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Although they may be a match cosmetically I am assuming the lookup is not working due to them not being the same date as such.
This is correct. MATCH matches on the underlying value of the cell, not what is displayed.

But we can't give you an actual formula without knowing what you need to do. Just for starters what INDEX/MATCH formula did you start with?

Upvote 0
Thank you for responding

I have pasted in data below, essentially what I am trying to see if there is any spend on a project if it has gone past it's end date so for Project A it should show 0 as it has an end date of Jun-24 but with the data it shows 1. Unfortunately I am matching this against different spreadsheets where one department has entered the data a certain way compared to another.

formula being used is =INDEX(D4:J8,MATCH($N3,$C$4:$C$8,FALSE),MATCH($O3,$D$3:$J$3,FALSE))

NameEnd DateSpend ?
May-2024Jun-2024Jul-2024Aug-2024Sep-2024Oct-2024Nov-2024Project AJun-24
#N/A​
Project F
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Project BSep-24
Project A
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Project CMar-26
Project E
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Project DMar-27
Project A
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

Upvote 0
Hi all

Resolved: I used the TEXT function to attain the month and year =TEXT(O3,"mmm")&"-"&YEAR(O3) giving me Jun-24 allowing me to use this within the match.

*marking as resolved to close of post

Upvote 1
I used the TEXT function to attain the month and year =TEXT(O3,"mmm")&"-"&YEAR(O3) giving me Jun-24
:confused: Surely if O3 contains a date, that formula would return "Jun-2024" not "Jun-24" as started above.

In any case the required text string should be able to be obtained more directly with on of these

If you want "Jun-2024" as per the formula in post 4
Excel Formula:
=TEXT(O3,"mmm-yyyy")

If you want "Jun-24" as per the stated result in post 4
Excel Formula:
=TEXT(O3,"mmm-yy")

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Peter

Thanks for your response

Sorry for the confusion (bad explanation my part). You're right I needed to get to Jun-2024 from Jun-24. and that's what was returned not what I had incorrectly stated. (must have been the semi-excitement of solving something of my own accord...only to be shown a more efficient way 😊 )

Thanks for this! =TEXT(O3,"mmm-yyyy") I hadn't thought to include the year this way rather than my longer winded way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back