Date Last Saved/Modified

animas

I need a function to show date last saved or modified in a cell which will get updated each time workbook is saved/closed.

How can I do this?

Dragging an old thread from the death, but is there a way of adding the Time to the =Lastsaved() macro??

I have got the date working, but just nead to tweak and add the time.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
After working through many, many threads on this topic, I have a solution that's close. Using your code does return a date in the cell with =LastSaved(). However, the date is way off. First it said 2011, after another save it went to 2008. I'm moving back in time, although not in a way that allows me to take advantage of the stock market.

Any idea what could be going so horribly wrong?

FWIW, I have entirely closed out of Excel between saves, the workbook is saved as xlsm, and my computer is well aware of today's date and correctly stamps the file in properties.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can I do this on a mac? Would really appreciate help on how. Can't open VBA with your PC shortcuts. (tried command/F11)

Before you say macs suck. I know. I have no choice.
Work has forced us all to work on macs >:/

Upvote 0
This will give you the last author:
Code:
Function LastAuthor() As String
    Application.Volatile
    LastAuthor = ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Author")
End Function

=LastAuthor()

Hi,

this function show the name of the person who created the file, however want to know the name of the person who saved the sheet.

Can you please provide a function for the same.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't believe a Function will do this. The only way to note the last person who saved a file is to store that information in the workbook somewhere it can be retrieved.

A workbook event Workbook_BeforeSave() can do this. A technique I learned and have used from the web is explained here:

Excel tip: Display the name of the last user to save a file - 2toria

It stores the name and the date of the last person who edits the file in a named formula rather than in a cell. Then what looks like a UDF can display that information in a cell, same way the trick in this thread does.

Upvote 0
I followed these instructions and it worked beautifully, returning the last save date. I protected the cells with the "This file last saved on" and closed and reopened the workbook. Now instead of a date, I'm getting a "#NAME?" error. What did I do wrong?

Upvote 0
Yes the code is there. However, I noticed that macros were disabled. Why is that and how do I keep them enabled?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmlyle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back