Date range search where there is overlap

MephistophelesUK

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am really struggling on this one. At about the 5 hour mark of going round in circles and getting nowhere
Capture.PNG

I want my second table M5:O89 to query the data in the "To and From" columns of my first table and where there is overlapping dates - pull the information from there.

Easy to do in the numeric values using SUMIF's - so where there is overlap from Oct 72-74 the SUMIF returns 45 rather than just 30.

However, I also want to extract the text data - so for Oct 70 to Sept 72 it would return "A", but from Oct 72 to April 74 - "A,B" ... and so on.

I don't just want to check the six cells that are populated in my example so naming them won't work - it has to check the range.

I have had a suggestion of using TEXTJOIN but don't have 365 subscription so that doesn't seem to work.

There must be a way to do it but I am well and truly flummoxed.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Date range search where there is overlap
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Date range search where there is overlap
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Apologies - I had missed this.

It is a Cross-Post as the two solutions offered elsewhere have not resolved the problem. The original question was posted on Excel Forum under: Date range search where there is overlap

I cannot see a method of amending my original post to include that information.

Upvote 0
If you only have a few cells then you can use something like
Excel Formula:
=MID(IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$6,$D$6)=[@Month],", "&$F$6,"")&IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$7,$D$7)=[@Month],", "&$F$7,"")&IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$8,$D$8)=[@Month],", "&$F$8,""),3,100)
Otherwise you will need a macro.

Upvote 0
If you only have a few cells then you can use something like
Excel Formula:
=MID(IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$6,$D$6)=[@Month],", "&$F$6,"")&IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$7,$D$7)=[@Month],", "&$F$7,"")&IF(MEDIAN([@Month],$C$8,$D$8)=[@Month],", "&$F$8,""),3,100)
Otherwise you will need a macro.

Thanks - that seems the cleanest answer I've had and caters for the potentially different values in the Type column.

I need to apply across a range of 15 lines minimum rather than just the three that are populated at present - so 30 in total - I'm guessing that is going to take me outside of this solution?

Upvote 0
You can expand it by adding the other cells to check in the same manner.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back