Date reformatting help

ryuwrx

Hello all,

It's been a while since I was last here, but I have a new question that I'm hoping the gurus can help me with. I'm working on an excel doc that has 25k lines of data. One of the columns has a date currently formatted to "mm/dd" and I need to get the format to show "mm/dd/yyyy". If I change the column formatting to the proper formatting, excel doesn't recognize that "mm/dd" is a proper date, it's only seeing it as "nn/nn". Is there a simple solution to adding in the four digit year and the slash mark, so that excel recognizes it as a proper date format? I'm not too concerned about what year it adds because I can use the find/replace to change the years since they are sequential. Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
If you have mm/dd in column A ...
  • Select column A
  • Select from the menu Data\ Text to Columns
    1. Select Delimited and next
    2. De-select all the checkboxes and then next
    3. Select "Date" in the Column data format
    4. Finish

Then you should be able to format column A with any date format you like.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwirth

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...