Date / time spacing

Bebbspoke

Board Regular
Hi - I have numerous historic data files - all are date & time stamped in a single column. All data is at five minute intervals over a ten week period. The data is in contiguous rows - there are no gaps; but sporadically the data is not contiguous - individual or strings of time stamps are absent, and different files may have different gaps!
Please - is there a method whereby Excel can sort the data such that blank rows are inserted for the missing time stamps? - such would enable me to align all the files for rapid comparison. Thank you.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi Comfy; -

Thank you for your assistance.

I neglected to tell you that the single column data I sent you was directly from the original source data file... this I subsequently import into a processing file commencing Row #4 as the first THREE rows are as headers to the processing.

Your solution works fine on original data but I cannot apply your macro to files which I've already processed. Ho hum...

Upvote 0
This:

Rich (BB code):
For i = 2 To LR - 1

Is the line that you need to change.

Change the two to be the row number where your data starts.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the instruction to "fix" - I'm currently running the fix on a previously processed file... it's taking an age to process (been over 30mins so far... ~15k rows and 70 cols) - I'll let you know when it's done... Cheers, Bebbspoke

Upvote 0
You can stop it by pressing Ctrl + Break

With some more development time it would better if you utilised a Data Connection and/or Access.

Although I'm no expert I'm willing to help if I can.

Upvote 0
You can stop it by pressing Ctrl + Break

With some more development time it would better if you utilised a Data Connection and/or Access.

Although I'm no expert I'm willing to help if I can.

Well - I'll let it run to finish - to see how long it'll take! - (still running over an hour now - and this is certainly NOT a slow pc - AMD 8320 8 core with 16G of ram).

Your offer of further assistance is much appreciated and accepted - there is a far more complex aspect of the processing which currently has to be done manually - this takes about 3 hours per file and with a minimum of 16 files that is not amusing... it may take me a while to explain the issue and to procure "clutter free" examples for your perusal. Cheers, Bebbspoke

Upvote 0
It took about 1h 20mins to process - don't really care too much 'cos it gets the job done (assumed) error free... and it's a lot less eyestrain from doing it manually! Chers.

Upvote 0
Well - I'll let it run to finish - to see how long it'll take! - (still running over an hour now - and this is certainly NOT a slow pc - AMD 8320 8 core with 16G of ram).

Your offer of further assistance is much appreciated and accepted - there is a far more complex aspect of the processing which currently has to be done manually - this takes about 3 hours per file and with a minimum of 16 files that is not amusing... it may take me a while to explain the issue and to procure "clutter free" examples for your perusal. Cheers, Bebbspoke

You have my email so just respond there.

My GPU is on its last legs so I now have some free time in the evenings :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back