Dave Hawley

Yes, by founding and providing Ozgrid and in particular its forum, Dave most certainly provided Excel users around the world with a tremendous asset and resource. As others here have already indicated, more than once I found a solution to an Excel problem that had been nettling me on Ozgrid, either in one of Dave's articles, or in a post on a forum thread. I would have Dave's family know that his dedication to Ozgrid helped hundred of thousands, if not millions of people all around the world and that his contribution will live on the memories of all those people.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Shame.

I never communicated directly with Dave, but he taught me many things just by having Ozgrid.

Sorry to have heard of this. In my early Excel development days, Dave's help was a real boost to my projects when I had questions. Sad news, thanks for letting us know.

Safe to say he was a character but sure the Excel community will be worse off without him.

RIP

I don't roam much in here any more, but this is sad news indeed. Ozgrid learned me lots of Excel stuff.

Accidentally I met a former client (from a company I worked for) two weeks ago who told me they are still using a VBA driven Excel sheet I created for them... way in 2003! Basically it opens a text file from their house system, converts it into labels and delivery notes and sends an EDI file to be read by their transport company.

I asked for the sheet in question and when I opened it I found a lot of code that couldn't have been written by me and that I must have stolen from Ozgrid or Mr. Excel...
Dave's code will still live on for years to come, I'm pretty sure.
RIP dude!

When I launched the MrExcel Message Board way back in 1999, Dave was one of the first people to show up. I remember Dave, Ivan Moala, and Cecilia being the earliest regulars. I loved Dave & Raina's Excel Hacks book from O'Reilly. Very sorry to hear of his passing.
rr1050 just replied to this old thread which caused me to re-read the messages here... it looks like someone else valued the Excel Hacks book highly as well (check out the price:LOL:).

Excel Hacks: Tips & Tools for Streamlining Your Spreadsheets by Hawley, David Published by O'Reilly Media 2nd (second) edition (2007) Paperback: Amazon.com: Books

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pollardxlsm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back