DAX/Data Model relationships when I only have monthly snapshot fact tables...

Guitarmageddon

Board Regular
Hey folks, scratching my head on this one. I have a data model thats essentially three things.
1. A MONTHLY snapshot table of how many units are shipped out of two different warehouses. It goes down to the SKU level, but there are columns for month, department and other item level data etc.
2. A MONTHLY snapshot table of inventory at these two different warehouses, taken at the end of each month. Again, down to SKU level, contains item level data, and a column with the MONTH the report was taken.
3. A master date table (also have coresponding columns with our FISCAL periods and week numbers, since we do retail 4-5-4 but that shouldnt be a huge deal.

All that said, Im having a heck of a time doing anything with DAX measures to summarize either of these two tables together.

For example, I need to take the SUM of total units on hand and divide that by the units shipped within a given month to approximate a days of supply.
I.E. : (SUM of units shipped in JULY / SUM of inventory snapshot end of JULY) * 30 to get days of supply.

However, none of the DAX measures are cooperating and they just revert to a sum total for all data and weird stuff like that. The business side is trying to get to a monthly Days of supply measurement using the calc I stated above, or something close. Anyone have any nuggets of wisdom when dealing with these snapshot fact tables?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back