dicken

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have posted a similar query on Excel Forum :

Excel Formula:
https://www.excelforum.com/office-365/1383891-dax-power-pivot-totals-using-sumx-and-related.html#post5704765

My question relates to the order you put things in a measure or calculated column where multiplication takes place
so;
t
Excel Formula:
ryone :=
SUMX (
    Sales,
    Sales[Sales]
        * ( RELATED ( 'Item'[Price] ) - RELATED ( 'Item'[Cost] ) )
        * ( 1 - RELATED ( Customer[Discount] ) )
)

Which works, but only two of the possible six permutations work, both ending on discount, the other four fail,
the other way is to use a summarized sales table ;

Excel Formula:
tryfour :=
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE ( Sales, 'Item'[Cost], 'Item'[Price], Customer[Discount] ),
    ( 'Item'[Price] - 'Item'[Cost] ) * ( 1 - Customer[Discount] )
        * CALCULATE ( SUM ( Sales[Sales] ) )
)

Can someone explain why this happens and what the 'rules' are ?

Richard

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Multiplication order works the same way as mathematical rules. Order is not important

the first measure is inherently inefficient. i have a general guide. If you are using RELATED, in a measure, it’s probably not the best formula.

the second version is much better, because you are first generating the smallest possible virtual table, and are iterating over that.

Upvote 0
Multiplication order works the same way as mathematical rules. Order is not important

the first measure is inherently inefficient. i have a general guide. If you are using RELATED, in a measure, it’s probably not the best formula.

the second version is much better, because you are first generating the smallest possible virtual table, and are iterating over that.
Yes I accept the efficiency argument, but I am definitely getting different results ;
so if we take each part sales = s , price = cost = c and 1-discount = s
I have the following results ;;
scd = true
sdc = false
cds = false
csd= true
dsc = false
dcs = true

I have also put this measure on two sheets once on the sales table ;

SUMX(Sales,Sales[Sales]*(1-RELATED(Customer[Discount])*(RELATED('Item'[Price])- RELATED('Item'[Cost]) ) ) )
= 29.06 , which is incorrect

and again on the Customer table :

SUMX(Sales,Sales[Sales]*(-RELATED(Customer[Discount])*(RELATED('Item'[Price])-RELATED('Item'[Cost]) ) ) )
= -11.04,
I'd be interested in your comments, as I may be doing soemthing really stupid,
I've attached a link to a copy of the file on onedrive;

Richard

Upvote 0

In response to my previous reply, 'yes' was doing something stupid, I had my bracketing wrong on the discount;
I'd made a mistake and repeated it, I kept forgetting a classing bracket . I have a habbit of this sort of thing, I once failed a maths exam not because my working out was wrong, I'd written down the wrong opening number . 🙄

Richard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowinx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back