Define series in a scatter plot by contents of cell

inkling

Long time reader of the forum, first time to post. I usually can find what I need without having to resort to posting. If this has already been discussed as I am sure it has been please excuse me but I can not find it.I am using Excel 2000 and Windows XP.

I am trying to create a scatter plot from a table that has three columns of values. I want the plot to be created by using the numbers in the first two columns but have the series defined by the third column. For instance:

from a table that looks like this

A value......B value........C value

1.5.............3.6................a
3.5.............1.2................b
2.5.............2.5................c
0.0.............0.1................d
1.3.............3.4................a

I want a graph that has Values A and B plotted on the X and Y axis with the different series defined by the value in the third column.... so that all b's are the same color all d's are the same color etc.

This is going into a larger macro I am creating to look at hundreds of rows in hundreds of files, so unfortunatley I can not just sort the table and pick the series by hand, I need to automate this at least to some degree.
IS there some way to define a series other than boxing it in in Excel. I have tried help but don't think I am even searching for the correct terms.

I make most of my macros by recording and a little knowledge of programming, I am very much a novice and appreciate any help. I am sure this is probably a very simple problem, but I can not figure it out.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back