Delete certain rows but keep formulas intact

Linh Le

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

First time user here. Hoping the community can help me as i've exhausted all resources and have been trying to figure it out for hours. Here's the sticky situation:

- On one sheet is a values only Master List tab that could run between 2000 - 4000 items
- The other is a calculable sheet that has the following formula filled in to, say row 3000, =IF('Master Fund List'!B1811<>"",'Master Fund List'!B1811,"") to capture the running items. The problem is if the Master List only have 1500 items then the first 1500 items would get captured based on the formula, but then from row 1501 to 3000 it would say "#REF!" which is correct because there's no information on the main tab (see screenshot)
- Question: is there a way for me to stop the auto calculations from pulling in data below the last relevant item or "remove" the rows/formulas w/o either hiding said rows or delete out the formulas entirely?

Thank you so much!
Le

Attachments

• Excel Capture.PNG
    Excel Capture.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You have 365 so the Filter function should be available to you. I don't know what column you are putting your formulas in on the second sheet, but assuming it's column A, try this:
Book1
AB
1HDR1HDR2
2x2 data
3x3 data
4x4 data
5x5 data
6x6 data
7x7 data
8x8 data
9x9 data
10x10 data
11x11 data
12x12 data
13x13 data
14x14 data
15x15 data
16x16 data
17x17 data
18x18 data
19x19 data
20x20 data
Master Fund List

Book1
A
1HDR2
22 data
33 data
44 data
55 data
66 data
77 data
88 data
99 data
1010 data
1111 data
1212 data
1313 data
1414 data
1515 data
1616 data
1717 data
1818 data
1919 data
2020 data
Calcs
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:A1000A1=FILTER('Master Fund List'!B:B,'Master Fund List'!B:B<>"","")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Kevin,

thank you for this. I tried it but got a "spill" error. I'm probably doing it incorrectly. Maybe my question isn't clear either. Please lmk if there's an alternative solution.

Thanks again,
Le

Upvote 0
Hi Kevin,

thank you for this. I tried it but got a "spill" error. I'm probably doing it incorrectly. Maybe my question isn't clear either. Please lmk if there's an alternative solution.

Thanks again,
Le
You only put the formula in one cell on the Calcs sheet, in A1. Plus you can't have anything else below that in column A in the Calcs sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi,

One follow up question: could you suggest how i should nest the filter formula with the following: =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(E5,'Master Fund List'!E:Z,6,FALSE)),"",-VLOOKUP(E5,'Master Fund List'!E:Z,6,FALSE))

thank you.

Upvote 0
Hi,

One follow up question: could you suggest how i should nest the filter formula with the following: =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(E5,'Master Fund List'!E:Z,6,FALSE)),"",-VLOOKUP(E5,'Master Fund List'!E:Z,6,FALSE))

thank you.
I believe this is a different question to your original post and as such, please start a new thread.

Upvote 0
Will do. Thanks for your patience as I just discovered this forum this week.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back