Delete rows when specific words and criteria are found

man

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a worksheet that contains 2 columns of data. I have listed a sample of the data as below column A and column B

...............Column A....................................Column B
Row 1......blacktalldog.com..........................black tall dog
Row 2......blackhungrymouse.com................black hungry mouse
Row 3......thebigshortdog.net........................the big short dog
Row 4......bigblacktable.net..........................big black table
Row 5......bigtalltree.net...............................big tall tree

I have some questions on how to do the things I want.

1) I want to excel to search the whole document and detect rows with cells that start with the word 'black' and cells that start with the word 'big'. Delete the whole rows.

results to return will be

2) I want to search Column A only, delete the rows if the cells in Column A ends with '.net'

Row 1......blacktalldog.com..........................black tall dog

3) I want to detect cells that contain the word tall. If the word tall is detected in Column A or Column B, delete the row.

Row 4......bigblacktable.net..........................big black table

Thanks <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- edit note -->

1. I am ok with anything as long as I can get the results.
OK, I can work with that.

2. May I know what are the difference? I think a single final result will do.
The difference is whether I have to write (and you have to run) three different macros like I posted in post #12 or whether we combine them into one single macro. The only reason you would leave them separate is if sometimes you want to delete, for example, the big/black/tall rows but not the '.net' rows

3. I would like the rows to be greyed, and then automatically or manually arrange the greyed rows to the bottom. (If possible, I would like have an option to change it to delete by editing the codes myself)
With Excel 2002, sorting the grey columns to the bottom is a more complex task. It could be done but are you sure you really need to do this?

4. I am not really sure how to retrive the the macro in the workbook. I can only see a Macro name: Sheet1.Test
So where did you paste my macros and how did you test them?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
1. I am ok with anything as long as I can get the results.
OK, I can work with that.

2. May I know what are the difference? I think a single final result will do.
The difference is whether I have to write (and you have to run) three different macros like I posted in post #12 or whether we combine them into one single macro. The only reason you would leave them separate is if sometimes you want to delete, for example, the big/black/tall rows but not the '.net' rows

I think separate should be better. What is your suggestion? But I am not sure how to run three different macros. In my real worksheet, I have thousands of rows, I need to filter out more words, (example, filter out cells that start with black, big, blue, my, red, yellow, the.... and filter out cells that end with cats, dogs, chairs, fan, lights, zone before the . domain extension). So I need to add a lot more macros by myself or maybe is there an option I can input more words into one macro?

3. I would like the rows to be greyed, and then automatically or manually arrange the greyed rows to the bottom. (If possible, I would like have an option to change it to delete by editing the codes myself)
With Excel 2002, sorting the grey columns to the bottom is a more complex task. It could be done but are you sure you really need to do this?

My main reason of doing this is that I need to look at the filtered data only. If the greyed rows are unmoved and are in between the ungreyed rows, it makes it very difficult to see the data I want. I want to move the greyed rows to the bottom just to keep it for reference purpose. If it is a very complex task, is there any other options that you can suggest?

4. I am not really sure how to retrive the the macro in the workbook. I can only see a Macro name: Sheet1.Test
So where did you paste my macros and how did you test them?

This is how I run the macro > I opened the worksheet in my excel, right click on the sheet tab and click view code. The Microsoft Visual Basic window pops up, I copy and paste in the code you provided in post #12, press F5, then clicked the Run on the menu, then clicked the RunSub/UserForm

Did I perform the run correctly? Do I need to run 3 times or something? I did not save anything and I am not sure what to save.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I think separate should be better. What is your suggestion? But I am not sure how to run three different macros. In my real worksheet, I have thousands of rows, I need to filter out more words, (example, filter out cells that start with black, big, blue, my, red, yellow, the.... and filter out cells that end with cats, dogs, chairs, fan, lights, zone before the . domain extension). So I need to add a lot more macros by myself or maybe is there an option I can input more words into one macro?
How big is the list of words? 20 or 100 or 1000? Just trying to get a rough idea. Is the list of words in the sheet somewhere, or do you just have it in your head or on paper?

The fact that there are more than a couple of words means that my method of using AutoFilter will probably not be the most appropriate method.

My main reason of doing this is that I need to look at the filtered data only. If the greyed rows are unmoved and are in between the ungreyed rows, it makes it very difficult to see the data I want. I want to move the greyed rows to the bottom just to keep it for reference purpose. If it is a very complex task, is there any other options that you can suggest?
Should be able to get the grey rows at the bottom.

This is how I run the macro > I opened the worksheet in my excel, right click on the sheet tab and click view code. The Microsoft Visual Basic window pops up, I copy and paste in the code ...
I should have picked up on this earlier. I think the code is not in the correct place. Right click the sheet name tab and choose 'View Code'. Then in the VB window use the menus to Insert|Module. That is where to paste the code. Then when you close the VB window you can access the macros by
Tools|Macro|Macros...|select the macro|Run
or by keyboard
Alt+F8|select the macro|Run

Upvote 0
How big is the list of words? 20 or 100 or 1000? Just trying to get a rough idea. Is the list of words in the sheet somewhere, or do you just have it in your head or on paper?

The fact that there are more than a couple of words means that my method of using AutoFilter will probably not be the most appropriate method.

I have a list of words I want filter, e.g. 1. cell starting with WORD, 2. cell ends with .com / .net /.org, 3. WORD detected anywhere in cells, 4. cell ends with WORD.domain extension (note: WORD is the list of words)

The list will be around 200 or more. I have not written the list or typed it in a sheet yet, I plan write down the list somewhere, I may add more words to the list in future.

I should have picked up on this earlier. I think the code is not in the correct place. Right click the sheet name tab and choose 'View Code'. Then in the VB window use the menus to Insert|Module. That is where to paste the code. Then when you close the VB window you can access the macros by
Tools|Macro|Macros...|select the macro|Run
or by keyboard
Alt+F8|select the macro|Run

I followed the steps. When I go to Tools|Macro|Macros...|select the macro|Run, I see 3 macro names BlackBigRows, DotNetRows, TallRows, and I run each of them. (I repeat the process 3 times). I think this will give me the final result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This code would only deal with rows that actually end with 'days' so it would not pick up 'elevengooddays.com' for example.

From the earlier description, I think what is required is to identify rows that have days immediately before the '.' so the criteria would be
"*days.*"

Hi, Peter. I thought *days would pick it up since
"man" has the same exact wording in column B without the '.'

Upvote 0
I have a list of words I want filter, e.g. 1. cell starting with WORD, 2. cell ends with .com / .net /.org, 3. WORD detected anywhere in cells, 4. cell ends with WORD.domain extension (note: WORD is the list of words)
I'm still struggling a bit with the overall deal here in relation to your requirements and sample data. You say the data in post #13 is more representative of your data. You also now say one of your four conditions is rows that end in .com/.net/.org. From your sample data, that would be all the rows, so there would be no need for the other three conditions to even be tested. Is the data really more varied again?

The reason I am pressing for realistic represenatative data and requirements is so I do not spend (waste) time developing a solution that works on unrealistic data/requirements but not on the real data/requirements. To some extent that already happened when I thought there were only two 'starting words' (big/black) so I developed a suggestion using AutoFilter. However, that method is not the best method if there are many 'starting words'.

Upvote 0
I am sorry if I have confused you. Initially I was thinking that I could add more starting words, or edit the .net by myself. Initially I did not know about VBA codes and I thought there might be something that works like the search and replace, and I can input multiple words I want to detect. I have mentioned only .net because most of the time I would find the .net rows. Sometimes I will need to find .com or .org. and I thought I would be able do that by replacing .net and do a search again. I understand it would mean all the rows, but I am not going to find all the three different extension at the same time. The sample data is realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, see if this is any use. First test on a sample workbook set up as follows:

1. A sheet named 'Main' with just the data as set out in post #13 except moved down one row. So the data is in A2:B16. If you haven't already got some, put some headings in A1:B1

2. I have assumed no other data on this sheet.

3. On a second sheet in the same workbook, name the sheet 'Exclude Lists'

4. Set up your exclusion categories with headings as shown. (You could use different headings but they should not have any spaces or unusual characters in them.)

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1StartEndAnywhereBefore_Dot
2big.nettalldays
3black
Exclude Lists

Paste the code below into a new Module (as before: Insert|Module) and run it.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> man()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsMain <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet, wsExclude <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rMain <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rExclude <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> aExclHead, sFormulas<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> nName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Names<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lr <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lExclCategories <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsMain = Sheets("Main")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsExclude = Sheets("Exclude Lists")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rExclude = wsExclude.Range("A1").CurrentRegion<br>    aExclHead = rExclude.Rows(1).Value<br>    lExclCategories = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(aExclHead, 2)<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wsMain<br>        .UsedRange.Offset(, 2).ClearContents<br>        .AutoFilterMode = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rMain = .Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Resize(, 1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>    sFormulas = Array( _<br>        "=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(LEFT(B1,FIND("" "",B1&"" "")-1)," & aExclHead(1, 1) & ",0)),1,"""")", _<br>        "=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(""."",A1&""."")-1,"""")," & aExclHead(1, 2) & ",0)),1,"""")", _<br>        "=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" & aExclHead(1, 3) & ",B1))),1,"""")", _<br>        "=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(B1,"" "",REPT("" "",100)),100))," & aExclHead(1, 4) & ",0)),1,"""")")<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lExclCategories<br>        lr = wsExclude.Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp).Row<br>        lr = IIf(lr < 2, 2, lr)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>        ActiveWorkbook.Names(aExclHead(1, i)).Delete<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br>        ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=aExclHead(1, i), RefersToR1C1:= _<br>            "='Exclude Lists'!R2C" & i & ":R" & lr & "C" & i<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> rMain.Offset(, 1 + i)<br>            .Formula = sFormulas(i - 1)<br>            .Value = .Value<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> rMain.Offset(, 2 + lExclCategories)<br>        .FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(COUNT(RC3:RC[-1]),1,0)"<br>        .Cells(1, 1).Value = "Selected"<br>        .Value = .Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>    rMain.Offset(, 2).Resize(1, lExclCategories).Value = aExclHead<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wsMain.UsedRange<br>        .Sort Key1:=.Cells(2, 3 + lExclCategories), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _<br>            OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal<br>        .Offset(, .Columns.Count - 1).Resize(, 1).Replace What:="0", Replacement:=""<br>        .AutoFilter<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    MsgBox "Done"<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br></FONT>>

It should put a '1' under the correct heading for each row that meets that exclusion category. The final column ('Selected') should show a '1' if the row meets any of the exclusion categories. All these rows that meet any exclusion category shold be at the bottom of the data (though I haven't shaded them grey).

The code also puts AutoFilter on the sheet so you can just click (for example) the drop-down in the final column to just show '1' (or non-blanks) if you want to see the selected rows. (You could also quickly select and delete the rows at this point while filtered if you want). You can filter any of the other columns to see which rows met (or didn't meet) the exclusion criteria for that column.

Try changing/adding/deleting values in the 'Exclude Lists' sheet and run the code again.

You could add more exclusion categories but the 'sFormulas = ' section of the code would need to be expanded for whatever the new category is.

Here is my 'Main' sheet after the code was run. Remember it started like post #13 (with headings).

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Heading 1Heading 2StartEndAnywhereBefore_DotSelected
2tenbigdogs.comten big dogs
3thirteennicetables.comthirteen nice tables
4myrowsixbigcats.commy row six big cats
5fourteendayssmallcats.comfourteen days small cats
6fifteendaysblackcats.comfifteen days black cats
7elevengooddays.comeleven good days11
8twelvesleepydays.orgtwelve sleepy days11
9thebigshortdog.netthe big short dog11
10blacktalldog.comblack tall dog111
11blackhungrymouse.comblack hungry mouse11
12bigblacktable.netbig black table111
13bigtalltree.netbig tall tree1111
14bluetallhouseseven.netblue tall house seven111
15eighttalltables.comeight tall tables11
16blackninecats.comblack nine cats11
Main

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The code works great and its easy to use. Thanks

I have some problems.

When I input 2 words in the Start or Before_Dot columns in the Exclude Lists, it will not work. For example under Start column, I entered 'thirteennice or 'thirteen nice', under Before_Dot, I entered 'bigcats' or 'big cats'

The Anywhere column in the Exclude Lists cannot be blank/empty for all cells. If it is blank, after running the macro the Anywhere column in the Main sheet will be filled with 1

One question, does the code scan through or need column B data?

Upvote 0
The code works ...

I have some problems.
Hmm, sounds a bit contradictory. :confused::)

When I input 2 words in the Start or Before_Dot columns in the Exclude Lists, it will not work. For example under Start column, I entered 'thirteennice or 'thirteen nice', under Before_Dot, I entered 'bigcats' or 'big cats'
If you followed the sample as suggested, there were two values (big, black) under Start. In my final screen shot after running the code five rows are marked in the Start column - 3 that started with black and 2 that started with big. Did you get different results than me with the same sample data?

The Anywhere column in the Exclude Lists cannot be blank/empty for all cells. If it is blank, after running the macro the Anywhere column in the Main sheet will be filled with 1
Yes, my mistake. I thought I had tested that but must not have. The Anywhere column in the Exclude Lists sheet still needs to keep its heading, even if there is no other data below that heading.

Put another Dim statement with the others at the top of the code
Code:
Dim bListExists As Boolean

Replace the section of code in the middle with this:

<font face=Courier New>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lExclCategories<br>        lr = wsExclude.Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp).Row<br>        bListExists = (lr > 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>        ActiveWorkbook.Names(aExclHead(1, i)).Delete<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bListExists <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=aExclHead(1, i), RefersToR1C1:= _<br>                "='Exclude Lists'!R2C" & i & ":R" & lr & "C" & i<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> rMain.Offset(, 1 + i)<br>                .Formula = sFormulas(i - 1)<br>                .Value = .Value<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i</FONT>

One question, does the code scan through or need column B data?
Yes it does.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back