Delete Shapes Above a Certain Row

MikeG

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Could someone give me VBA code that I can attach to a button that will delete all the shapes in a specified worksheet that are located above a given row?

For example, the button is located in Sheet1, and Cell A10 of Sheet1 contains the text value "Sheet2" (although without the quotation marks". What I would like is that when I press the button, it would delete all the shapes in Sheet2 that are located above row 15. If Cell A10 of Sheet1 contained the text Sheet4, then I would like the macro to delete the shapes in Sheet4, and so on.

Thanks,

Mike

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The below code should do what you want. Make sure you have a backup copy of your sheet before you run it.
I have commented it out the line for the TopLeftCell being above row 15 in favour of the BottomRIghtCell being above row 15 but both lines are there so just comment and uncomment per your requirement.
VBA Code:
Sub DeleteShapesOnSht()

Dim shp As Shape
    Dim controlSht As Worksheet
    Dim shapeSht As Worksheet

Set controlSht = ActiveSheet
    Set shapeSht = Worksheets(controlSht.Range("A10").Value)

For Each shp In shapeSht.Shapes
        'If shp.TopLeftCell.Row < 15 Then           ' Shape starts above nominated row no
        If shp.BottomRightCell.Row < 15 Then        ' Whole shape is above nominated row no
            shp.Delete
        End If

Next shp

End Sub

If you wanted to have a look at the shapes to get a feel for what is going on and know how to look at the VBA Immediate window, the below will print to the immediate windon and does not delete anything.
VBA Code:
Sub ListShapesOnSht()

Dim shp As Shape

Debug.Print "Name", "Type No", "Top Left", "Bottom Right"
    Debug.Print "-----------------------------------------------------------------"

Debug.Print shp.Name, shp.Type, shp.TopLeftCell.Row, shp.BottomRightCell.Row
    Next shp

End Sub

Upvote 0
The below code should do what you want. Make sure you have a backup copy of your sheet before you run it.
I have commented it out the line for the TopLeftCell being above row 15 in favour of the BottomRIghtCell being above row 15 but both lines are there so just comment and uncomment per your requirement.
VBA Code:
Sub DeleteShapesOnSht()

Dim shp As Shape

'If shp.TopLeftCell.Row < 15 Then           ' Shape starts above nominated row no
        If shp.BottomRightCell.Row < 15 Then        ' Whole shape is above nominated row no
            shp.Delete
        End If

Next shp

End Sub

If you wanted to have a look at the shapes to get a feel for what is going on and know how to look at the VBA Immediate window, the below will print to the immediate windon and does not delete anything.
VBA Code:
Sub ListShapesOnSht()

Dim shp As Shape

Debug.Print "Name", "Type No", "Top Left", "Bottom Right"
    Debug.Print "-----------------------------------------------------------------"

Debug.Print shp.Name, shp.Type, shp.TopLeftCell.Row, shp.BottomRightCell.Row
    Next shp

End Sub
Thanks - that's great. And it is a powerful macro, so I appreciate the backup advice and the ability to see what's occurring.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back