dependent drop down menu

Leviatano80

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I am struggling for a solution about this problem. I have to create a depedend drop down list...problem here is that words that i should use as "label" are units so they contain two words connected by /. For example I have ml/h or mcg/ml. if i replace these with a,b,c,d it works so I think that problem is due to the fact that i am using more than one word and this /special symbol.
I was looking for a solution but you can understand that I can't replace this with another word as many people were suggesting....do you have any suggestion?
thanks

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
A lot of info missing which might be needed (ActiveX control or form control? Sheet or user form? Using VBA to populate or List Range property of an ActiveX combo?). What is a "depended" drop down list? Maybe you mean what's commonly called cascading combos? What have you tried?

If cascading combos perhaps you need at least 2 columns in your combos but you hide column 1 in both cases. In first combo, first column would be for unique index number, second for the value. You pick a value from combo1 and it stores the index. First column in second combo contains the index numbers from first combo. These can be repeated as many times as required but different values would be in its second column. Second combo only lists items where the first column contains the index number from the first combo. Second column shows the values you posted. AFAIK you would need to use VBA for this.

If that's not your problem then I don't know what's wrong with what you did that I can't see. I don't see why your values would present an issue unless you're using them in a formula and it thinks you're trying to divide by words. In that case, perhaps wrap them in single or double quotes as in "ml/h"

Upvote 0
A gentle reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:
Dependent drop down list

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
A lot of info missing which might be needed (ActiveX control or form control? Sheet or user form? Using VBA to populate or List Range property of an ActiveX combo?). What is a "depended" drop down list? Maybe you mean what's commonly called cascading combos? What have you tried?

If cascading combos perhaps you need at least 2 columns in your combos but you hide column 1 in both cases. In first combo, first column would be for unique index number, second for the value. You pick a value from combo1 and it stores the index. First column in second combo contains the index numbers from first combo. These can be repeated as many times as required but different values would be in its second column. Second combo only lists items where the first column contains the index number from the first combo. Second column shows the values you posted. AFAIK you would need to use VBA for this.

If that's not your problem then I don't know what's wrong with what you did that I can't see. I don't see why your values would present an issue unless you're using them in a formula and it thinks you're trying to divide by words. In that case, perhaps wrap them in single or double quotes as in "ml/h"
Thank you for your answer. Yes probably your definition is correct. I have two different columns H and K and I would like to have a relation between these two columns so that I can show in column K only values that are under the chosen parameter in column H. I am not using macro, just validating data as list and adding an indirect reference to my main label. point is that if I label these 4 column with a word (a,b,c,d) column K works....if I label them as ml/h or other units that i need....it doens't work. looking to other post it looks that this is due to use of illegal symbols (&,/) or two words ml and h). I am attaching also screenshoot of error that I have if i try to replace / with substitute function.
thank you

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
I would point you to a link that explains why not revealing where you have cross posted the same question is a bad thing but that sort of thing is not appreciated here. Just know that when someone is called out for it and doesn't acknowledge the problem that person goes on my ignore list. I don't want to risk wasting my time answering questions posed by people who have a habit of doing that - especially when they claim to have a solution at another forum.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back