Question about Drop down list

sspatriots

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm curious to know if I have a drop down list that I've been using for a while and then learn that one of the entries in that list is misspelled, if I correct the spelling of that actual drop down list item is there a way to have that automatically correct all of the existing uses of that drop down list selection in the workbook. For example, lets say one of the drop down selection items is the person's name "Deborah". Then I later learn that it should have been spelled "Debra". So I go to my drop down list and correct the spelling. Other than going through the workbook and doing a "Find and Replace" to offer the correct spelling of the name throughout, I was wondering if there is an easier way to just have these values automatically update immediately when I changed the value in the drop down list. I hope this makes sense, just trying to see if there is something that can be used in lieu of "Find and Replace".

Thanks, SS

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
There is an option in the Find and Replace Dialog to "REPLACE ALL" with one click. Is this something you don't want to do?

If the list is used in other formulas the other formulas would automatically update when you replace all just in that column.

Upvote 0
There is an option in the Find and Replace Dialog to "REPLACE ALL" with one click. Is this something you don't want to do?

If the list is used in other formulas the other formulas would automatically update when you replace all just in that column.
Actually, I did use the "Replace All" option. I was just wondering if there was a more dynamic means of having all of the previous drop-down selections automatically changing whenever the list was updated. All of the uses on my worksheet were selected by a user from the drop-down list. Thanks, SS

Upvote 0
No, there is no link maintained between the DV list and the values actually selected in the cells unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back