Dependent dropdown lists

sitewolf

In creating a spreadsheet for some of my employees to code their credit card transactions, I don't want to use a full list of available expense codes because it would be tediously long.
So I've broken the code down into two sections- the code itself and the list of divisions that code can be connected to (not all divisions have all codes).

What I'd like to be able to do is, once they pick a code from that dropdown, the items available to them in the next dropdown change according to the code they select. There are some 30 codes (for this) and most of them have a different combination of divisions that use that code and I'm looking to prevent them from selecting a combination that doesn't exist in my chart of accounts.

i.e. (oversimplying)
Code 1 Code 2 Code 3
Div 1 Div 2 Div 1
Div 2 Div 3 Div 3
Div 3

I thought I had it- creating a code dropdown from the horizontal list of codes, then highlighting all the date and creating named ranges from the top row, then creating a second dropdown with an indirect formula that references whatever is selected in the first dropdown...........but I'm getting an error message when doing that. I'm either missing something or this isn't possible in Office 2016 (which is what I'm on at work, being used to 365 at home).

Additionally, I knew once I figured that out there might be an issue if my data was on a different sheet, but I could always put it on the same sheet in hidden columns off to the side.

What am I missing?!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back