Dependent dynamic list with offset/countif formula and name manager

juliecooper255

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I hope someone can help me figure out what is going wrong with my dependent dropdown. I have tried to give all the details below:

1- Data

Column A = Headers
Column B = Subheaders
Column C = Items

2- Dropdown list 1 = Headers (C16, then copied down all lines)
Since my data is in a tabular format, I created a dynamic array using the formula =UNIQUE(FILTER(A:A,(A:A<>"")*(A:A<>"Headers")))
Then, to create my first dropdown, I use the data validation box pointing at the dynamic array using the formula ='Cost Items'!$M$2# as the source
Then copy the cell with the dropdown list down my spreadsheet to be usable for each line (Column C)
All works great.

3- Second dropdown list = Subheaders (dependent on headers return above) (D16, then copied down all lines)
In cell D16, the subheader dropdown list was created using the formula =OFFSET(Cost_Items[[#Headers],[Subheaders]],MATCH(SOW!D16,'Cost Items'!A:A,0)-1,0,COUNTIF(A:A,SOW!D16),1).
As offset doesn't work with the data validation, I created a name (subheader_formula) for this formula and used the name in my data validation box, which works perfectly.

4- Third dropdown list = Dependent on the result from the Subheader dropdown list in D16
I follow the same method for this dropdown list as for cell D16, but it all falls apart here.
The formula I copied to name manager is =OFFSET(Cost_Items[[#Headers],[Items Description]],MATCH(SOW!E16,'Cost Items'!$B:$B,0)-1,0,COUNTIF($B:$B,SOW!E16),1)
This formula works perfectly in Excel cells, but for some reason, the data validation will not work with the name manager. I get an error saying: "the source currently evaluates as an error"

I can't find any reason why that would be. Both formulas in D16 and F16 are constructed the same way, so why would one work and not the other?

I made a small sample file, is there a way to share it?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
1714111045224.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenmaldonado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back