Determine errors that would have been encountered if required confidence for sample size was met (when it wasn't)

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In my case, I need to perform an accuracy audit where my required accuracy is 99.90% and my required confidence level is 90.00%. I'm stumped on how to assign penalties in a case where the measured accuracy passes the requirement, but the required confidence fails.

I know that if I have a sample size of 3889, and I only have 1 error, then the formula "=1-BINOM.DIST(1,3889,1-0.999,TRUE)" will tell me my confidence level is 90.01%. My measured accuracy would be "=1-(1/3889)" or 99.97%. This meets both my measured accuracy and confidence level requirements.

But if I have 2 errors then my confidence level is 75.53%, even though the measured accuracy is 99.95%. So my accuracy is okay, but it's not at the required confidence level.

My issue is that I need to assign penalties for failing to meet the required accuracy and confidence, but the penalties are based only on the number of errors beyond the required accuracy. With a sample set of 3889 I have to get 4 errors before my measured accuracy drops below 99.90%, even though the required confidence fails with both 2 and 3 errors. I'm stumped on how to assign penalties in a case where the measured accuracy passes the requirement, but the required confidence fails.

Is it possible, and would it be correct, to be able to calculate backwards to determine 'n' by saying something like, "With 3889 samples at 74.53% confidence, then it's expected that 'n' errors would have occurred if the confidence were at 90.00%." If so, how would this be done? Would there be a margin of error that could be calculated? If so, how? I'm stumped on how to move forward with this problem.

I'd appreciate any experienced thoughts on this matter.
Andrew

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Could you please explain how this is solved in case someone else with a similar problem comes across this thread?

Upvote 0
The audit being performed is a detection audit. For each sample, there is either a detection or there is not. If there is not then this constitutes and error.

To pass the audit, both the required accuracy and required confidence must be met. There are penalties when the audit fails. The problem is that the penalties are calculated based upon only the measured accuracy. Thus when the required accuracy is met, but the required accuracy is not, then the calculated penalty is zero - even though the audit fails.

After investigation, there does not seem to be a statistical method for calculating a penalty when the required accuracy is met, but the required confidence is not. This seems to be more of a management decision than a mathematical method. One possible solution is to calculate the missing penalties by using a ratio. (See Columns U and V in the screenshot below.)

A Solution-.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back