dictionary lookup with multiple criteria

anaysha

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Team, I working with lakhs of row and apply Index match function with multiple criteria basis appliable date of particular name, which will take much time while processing, can you please help me out to get the VBA dictionary lookup with multiple criteria which give result in minimal time, so that I can utlize my time further for anlysing of data.

Below is the table where I need output:

With Criteria of Column A matched with Data Base file and Column C range >= in data base file column C and Column D<= in data base file column D

1678732150940.png

Data Base:

1678732205746.png

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I beg your pardon, but I didn't understand which are the information that you type in the first table (sheet Output) and which information you would like to retrieve from the second table; could you be more explicit?
How many Rows & Columns are involved?
If you use a formula, or a macro, could you show the code?

Upvote 0
Hi Anthony,

thanks for the reply, actually I am dealing more than >5 Lakh rows and where we need to fetch the information from "Main Data" (consider Data Tab in attached screen shot) and put the same into Main data (Consider as Output Tab), I created lot of formula like Xlookup() with Match() and Indext() with match() etc. along with array... but that all formula taking lot of time...and while exploring on google, I got reference of dictionary lookup where fetching and putting of information with minimal second...

So I need help to provide me dictionary lookup with array to fetch the information...in output tab with considering of field "Name", "Class", "Fees Start" & "Fees end" only when all field match than "Fees" file of respective row information pick from "Data" Tab.

Thanks,
Anaysha

Upvote 0
Yes, you can use a dictionary lookup with arrays to fetch information from your "Main Data" and populate it into the "Output" tab. Here's an example code that should work for your situation:
VBA Code:
Sub DictionaryLookup()
    Dim dataSheet As Worksheet
    Dim outputSheet As Worksheet
    Dim dataRange As Range
    Dim outputRange As Range
    Dim dataArr As Variant
    Dim outputArr As Variant
    Dim dict As Object
    Dim i As Long

' Set the data and output sheets
    Set dataSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Data")
    Set outputSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Output")

' Get the data and output ranges
    Set dataRange = dataSheet.Range("A2:D" & dataSheet.Cells(dataSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    Set outputRange = outputSheet.Range("A2:E" & outputSheet.Cells(outputSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)

' Convert the data and output ranges to arrays
    dataArr = dataRange.Value
    outputArr = outputRange.Value

' Create a dictionary to store the data
    Set dict = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

' Loop through the data array and add the data to the dictionary
    For i = 1 To UBound(dataArr, 1)
        ' Get the key for the dictionary (Name, Class, Fees Start, Fees End)
        Dim key As String
        key = dataArr(i, 1) & "|" & dataArr(i, 2) & "|" & dataArr(i, 3) & "|" & dataArr(i, 4)

' Add the fees to the dictionary for the key
        dict(key) = dataArr(i, 5)
    Next i

' Loop through the output array and update the fees column with the dictionary lookup
    For i = 1 To UBound(outputArr, 1)
        ' Get the key for the dictionary lookup
        Dim lookupKey As String
        lookupKey = outputArr(i, 1) & "|" & outputArr(i, 2) & "|" & outputArr(i, 3) & "|" & outputArr(i, 4)

' Lookup the fees in the dictionary and update the output array
        If dict.exists(lookupKey) Then
            outputArr(i, 5) = dict(lookupKey)
        Else
            outputArr(i, 5) = ""
        End If
    Next i

' Update the output range with the updated output array
    outputRange.Value = outputArr
End Sub
This code uses a dictionary to store the data from the "Main Data" tab, using the "Name", "Class", "Fees Start", and "Fees End" columns as the key, and the "Fees" column as the value. It then loops through the "Output" tab, looks up the fees in the dictionary using the same key, and updates the "Fees" column in the output array. Finally, it updates the "Output" range with the updated output array.

Note that this code assumes that the "Main Data" and "Output" tabs have headers in the first row, and that the data ranges do not include any empty rows or columns within the range. If your ranges do include empty rows or columns, you may need to modify the code to handle these cases.

Upvote 0
Hi Montecarlo, thanks for you reply, I really apricated.....but this code will only work where exact condition matched but if the date is with in the range of particular row there result would not be picked....

I need those code where if date of particular Name is fall under with in then result also populate... like Name "A" date in output sheet is different from Data even then result should be populated of 100 in output tab.

Thanks,
Anaysha

Upvote 0
Could you please tell us how many rows are in your database? Could you please give us a fair view of the database and sample of data we can use for our testing? (either using the XL2BB addin or by sharing a sample workbook)?

In the situation shown in the following example, which should be the returned fee and why?

MULTI_C30319.xlsm
ABCDEF
1Database
2NameClassFee StartsFee EndsFee
3A12-mar-2324-nov-23100
4A125-nov-2330-mar-24150
9Output
10NameClassFee StartsFee EndsFee
11A11-apr-2331-dic-23???
DEMO

Upvote 0
Hi Anthony, thanks for the reply, My database sheet cover more than 5 lakh rows and output near about 1.5 lakh rows .

in the above screen shot Fee ends always with in range...e.g. if database tab "A" Fee start date is 2 mar 23 and output sheet fee start date would be greater or equal to 2 Mar'23 in the same way fee end date in data base is 24 Nov 23 in that case output sheet fees always less than or equal to 24 Nov 23....there after result would be populated.

1679390424895.png

Upvote 0
Assuming your data and your output table looks like your first message, what if you use in Output!E5 the following formula
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Data!$E$3:$E$10000,(Data!$C$3:$C$10000<=C5)*(Data!$D$3:$D$10000>=D5))
Adapt those "10000" to your unknown number of rows

How does it perform?

Upvote 0
Assuming your data and your output table looks like your first message, what if you use in Output!E5 the following formula
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Data!$E$3:$E$10000,(Data!$C$3:$C$10000<=C5)*(Data!$D$3:$D$10000>=D5))
Adapt those "10000" to your unknown number of rows

How does it perform?
This is really helpful, but filter function will populate #SPILL if Name is repeated along with other criteria if matched in Output sheet... instead of result of all those lines...

e.g. if Name "A" is mentioned tow or more times in database file and we need output of Name "A" in output tab than result basis "Filter" function would be #Spill instead of final result as mentioned in "Fees" filed irrespective of is repetitive.

Thanks,
Anaysha

Upvote 0
My previous formula also lacked checking for Name & Class.
Try this revised one:
Excel Formula:
=LET(RRes,FILTER(Data!$E$3:$E$10000,(Data!$C$3:$C$10000<=C5)*(Data!$D$3:$D$10000>=D5)*(Data!$A$3:$A$10000=A5)*(Data!$B$3:$B$10000=B5)),INDEX(RRes,ROWS(RRes)))
This will return the last match in your database

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back