Difficulty Sorting Rows to be Used in Word Mailing

Ljwilli24

Hi all,

I am trying to create a 1,300 Word mailing from an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has approximately 4,000 rows of data and the columns contain: Client name, Transaction number, Client Address. Each client has between one and 15 transaction numbers (listed in one single column along with every other clients' transaction numbers), but each clients' transaction numbers have to all be included on their ONE mailing. I have tried sorting by address, but since the transaction numbers are listed under one row, Word only lets me insert the first transaction number associated with the client address. Does that make sense? I have included an example of how my spreadsheet looks (please see below)...hopefully my explanation makes sense...

Cornelius and Cornelia Rudebaker have three transaction numbers that need to be included in their ONE mailing. Word only recognizes the first one (12345), so that is the only one that populates in their letter. Without manually going through 4,000 rows and creating new columns for each clients' multiple transaction numbers...I am not sure what else to do. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Lindsey
Transaction #
Client Name
Client Address
Cornelius Rudebaker
1234 Hyatt St.
Cornelia Rudebaker
1234 Hyatt St.
Cornelius Redebaker
1234 Hyatt St.
Sally Lee
56 Vermont Ave.
Jerome Platt
978 Proctor Lane

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi Lindsey,

Would it be easier reformat the Word document to account for at least 15 transactions, then listing the transaction #'s as a column (Transaction # 01, Transaction #02, ... , Transaction #15). In this way, each client has only one row, but multiple columns of Transaction numbers that can be pulled into the Mail Merge.

As far as I know, Word will read each individual row as one "document".

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back