Digital signature breaks on insertion of new Worksheets

LukeS

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Cluke%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C04%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1575817524; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:1531376952 -686418760 134807555 134807557 134807553 134807555 134807557 134807553 134807555 134807557;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-start-at:168; mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:-; mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have created a spreadsheet containing VBA code that I want to distribute to customers. In order to let me run VBA on clients’ machines, I have bought a digital signature and have signed my file.
<o:p> </o:p>
My problem is that the code needs to create new worksheets, but if I save the file after doing so, Excel complains and drops the signature with the error message “You have modified a signed project. You do not have the correct key to sign this project. The signature will be discarded.”
I think this arises because the new worksheet generates a corresponding new ‘Microsoft Excel Object’ – i.e. Sheetx, and that VBA then considers this amounts to changing the macros and therefore requires them to be re-signed. My question – is this correct and if so, are there any workarounds?
<o:p> Thanks</o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Luke
</o:p>
Background information
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->version : Excel 2003. Upgrading to 2007 is a possibility if it overcomes the problem.
Other questions
Having read around the problem, I seem to have two options:- force users to run macro security at low, or modify my code to run as an Excel Addin file. I’ve never had to do either before, so
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->Can I set a user’s macro security level programmatically?
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->If I went for the add-in approach, what would I lose? My workbook is currently very interactive, with Macros running on some Change and Select events; would that have to go?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Any responses yet?

I'm in the same boat, I have a large file that I've resorted to having people manually "enable" macros when Excel 03 asks upon opening (medium security). Many are now using 2007, and they don't see the corresponding dialog box attached to the ribbon, so I'm looking for a solution.

My files also add worksheets (via VBA code) which "breaks" any signature put on it.

thanks!!

Brad

Upvote 0
Me too. After working with my company for months to get a signature so that I could have users choose a more secure macro setting; now the signature seems to be disallowing my macro from working as designed (which includes adding sheets to the workbook). I have no problem on my computer, but all other users get the message that they have changed a signed program etc., etc. There has to be more to this. There are not only three people that have signed VBA that adds sheets to a workbook. Or something else is going on.
Anyone????

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetfriend9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back