Disaster after trying to install xl2bb -- Please help/rescue!

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I tried to install XL2BB. I used the method of copying it to XLSTART (as outlined on the instruction page for xl2bb).

I closed and reopened Excel.

The file i had open when i copied the file to XLSTART now comes up as "needing recovery" when i open it. The list of recovery changes is quite extensive (posted below). It is mostly PivotTables But then there is the one about "removed records workbook properties" so i do not know what that includes. I can probably re-create the PivotTables.

BUT the EXTRAORDINARY issue is that i wanted to go back in Version History and open a "known good version", rather than deal with a recovered file. First of all, clicking "version history" gives the same error immediately about needing recovery....before the "version history pane" is even displayed (weird!). So, i clicked ok to have a previous version file recovered. Then at least the version history pane comes. up. There are 3 entries in the Version History Pane from today before this issue arose. All was well using Excel before this issue happened (copying of xl2bb to XLSTART). But all 3 of those versions all say that they need recovery. So, went back in time 1 day...2 days...they all give this same "recovery needed" message. I was experiencing no Excel issues in the last several days until this attempt to install xl2bb. But all those saved versions now have corruption????

How is it possible if i've been using and saving this file multiple times over the last several days, and all was well, that now every copy in "Version History" now appears to be corrupted? Aren't they just saved files from before i attempted to install xl2bb? This is very disconcerting...i thought i was "safe" by having all these backup versions of my Excel workbooks.

HELP! Does anybody know what i can do about this to at least recover a "clean" file from my version history?

Thanks!

RECOVERY LOG FILE
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error224320_01.xml</logFileName>
<summary>Errors were detected in file 'onedrive_file_link_removed'</summary>
<removedParts>
<removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable10.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart>
<removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable9.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart>
</removedParts>
<removedFeatures>
<removedFeature>Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition4.xml part (PivotTable cache)</removedFeature>
<removedFeature>Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition5.xml part (PivotTable cache)</removedFeature>
<removedFeature>Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable8.xml part (PivotTable view)</removedFeature>
</removedFeatures>
<removedRecords>
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Workbook properties from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedRecord>
</removedRecords>
</recoveryLog>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that you are having problems in your computer, however, you are right, it is not possible: It is certainly not related to the XL2BB add-in since it doesn't make any settings change in the application, or any modification in the workbook. Beyond that, the XL2BB add-in has nothing to do / process pivot tables or caches in your workbook or saving the workbook file.

Simply delete it from the XLSTART folder if you'd like to undo/uninstall the add-in from your system. It will be like never opened/worked in your computer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted XLSTART folder, but nothing is changed.

I pretty much agree with that as an "analysis"...."how could it be?". But it is. "Everything was fine"...until i copied xl2bb to XLSTART and restarted Excel. Since then this particular workbook is corrupted, and gives the corruption error ALSO ("shall i try to recover...") for the files in its version history going back days (which is even more mysterious). I've been using and modifying and saving this workbook multiple times over the last days and no hint of any need for recovery or any errors...but now there is. Thats all i can say. Maybe its "circumstantial evidence" that it was first seen at exactly the point where i had tried to use xl2bb...but it certainly does raise suspicion, due to the timing and sequence of events.

Any further ideas on how i can "purify" this situation? This is a complex and valuable workbook and i really hate to be "unsure" as to if i've fixed (manually) everything.

Thanks you.

I have never seen this error in my computers (xml corruption), but I heard a lot about it online. One sample post here. I don't think it will help but it is the same error message you have.

I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the add-in or the XLSTART folder which is perfectly (and officially) fine to use for the files to be loaded during the application start. It sounds like that it is just a coincidence with another incident (perhaps a recent update that might have corrupted some Excel libraries? Just thinking, it won't be a surprise to me).

About restoring the files. OneDrive keeps versions of your files. Please go to OneDrive online, login to your account, locate the file, and click on the option box on the top-right corner of the file which appears when you move your mouse over the file icon. Then click on the three dots and Version History.

1695080837633.png

You will then see a list of the versions of the file that you can select one and download it.

I have recovered or accessed previous versions of many files using this method, because I barely trust desktop application's version history feature (I somehow end up overwriting, so I find this much safer).

Hope this helps.

I deleted XLSTART folder, but nothing is changed.
No. You shouldn't have deleted the XLSTART folder but the xl2bb.xlam file that you previously copied into it.

XLSTART is an Application folder and you shouldn't delete it.

Thanks for the tip on restoring files, used it now and will do so in the future. I also have found the desktop version very confusing and easy to mix up. Also aggravates me that before you make it writable, you can't even see the formulas, only can see the values. Often seeing formulas is what i need to see to decide what to restore. I did delete XLSTART but apparently Excel recreats it at next startup so it seems all is ok there.

Thanks for your help. I just spent a few hours after recovering "the best i could find" and then fixing it by hand. Of course i cannot be 100% sure that "everything" is fixed but it looks pretty good at this point.

I agree it seems like this may be a coincidence that it happened right after trying to add xl2bb to XLSTART. Now trying to decide if i dare try it again!

Thank you!

Glad to hear that you got your file back. I know how frustrating it is. (I lost my 2 months thesis work during the CIH virus back in 1998. It is the time I learned I shouldn't backup on the same computer!)

Now trying to decide if i dare try it again!
You don't have to install the add-in permanently to use it. Keep the xl2bb.xlam file on desktop or somewhere you can access quickly. When you need it, just double click to open it. It will then work during that session of Excel and you won't be worried about installing it permanently.

Also, the XLSTART method is the alternative method. If you'd like to install the add-in, try the preferred installation method first (it is explained in the add-in page). I suggest XLSTART as the quickest way only when the user has difficulty marking the file as safe to install as an add-in in Excel.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll try it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afua

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back