Dividing proportionally over quantity

Eirohl

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

it is my first time to post here and I have a basic knowledge on excel formula thats why I have difficult time to create a exact solution for this.
Before I am computing manually and it cost me a lot of time and I try it on excel but cant create a formula that I needed. I am using this for my day to day leaving thats why I am eager to know a solution.
Here is my sample question
I have an amount and I needed to divide it to quantity but I need an answer that is around that amount but excel rounded the answer I cant rounded it I need an exact amount. Please see the attached file for more details what I talking about.

Ps. English is not my first language thats why I am having difficult time to explain what I am looking for but I hope someone can understand. I hope someone can help me to solve this. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 18C67D3C-5A7C-48E9-8E4F-D0550B2846E9.jpeg
    18C67D3C-5A7C-48E9-8E4F-D0550B2846E9.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 16

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Welcome to the Board!

If things are rounding, it is probably because of your formulas. Can you post the formulas you are using here?
If you want them to match exactly, then you do not want to round or truncate the column which is determing the factor.

Upvote 0
Hi, Thank you for reading this.
about the formula it is the basic =amount/liters the answer keep rounding thats why I try to trunc it. I need an answer that is not over on the said amount. I do trial and error if this rounded answer is not over or this unrounded is in the amount.
Welcome to the Board!

If things are rounding, it is probably because of your formulas. Can you post the formulas you are using here?
If you want them to match exactly, then you do not want to round or truncate the column which is determing the factor.

Upvote 0
|Review the following
If this doesn't help, please advise what you require.

T202107a.xlsm
ABCDE
2litersAmountDifference
418,000.0020,430.791.13520,430.00-0.79
5e
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=B3/A3
D3:D4D3=C3*A3
E3:E4E3=D3-B3
C4C4=ROUND(B4/A4,3)

Upvote 0
about the formula it is the basic =amount/liters the answer keep rounding thats why I try to trunc it.
I think you may be confusing what is displayed with what is actually stored in Excel.
Changing the number of decimal places shown on the sheet in formatting does NOT change the actual value stored or used in Calculations.
You can change the number of decimal places shown via Cell Formatting, if you want.

The only way the calculations will be off that much is if you use the ROUND or TRUNC functions in your calculation, which you shouldn't do if you don't want the differences.

Upvote 0
|Review the following
If this doesn't help, please advise what you require.

T202107a.xlsm
ABCDE
2litersAmountDifference
418,000.0020,430.791.13520,430.00-0.79
5e
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=B3/A3
D3:D4D3=C3*A3
E3:E4E3=D3-B3
C4C4=ROUND(B4/A4,3)
I am sorry I forgot to inform that 2 decimal places that I need, even-though it is not exactly the amount as long as the answer is in the amount range. Thank you

Upvote 0
I am sorry I forgot to inform that 2 decimal places that I need, even-though it is not exactly the amount as long as the answer is in the amount range. Thank you
Just format your cell to only show two decimal places.
Then it will just show two, but really retain the complete value for calculations, so you won't get those differences that you don't want to see.

If you insist of rounding the factor amount using the ROUND or TRUNC functions, you WILL get a difference in your next calculation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back