Do Until loop nested in For loop, How advance to the "Next x" in the For Loop

Brian Feth

Windows 11, Excel 2021: I've been retired for a few years and want to use some of the VBA I seem to no long remember. I am making a work sheet to correlate Venders names to my bank statement's transaction descriptions. For example the bank statement may describe the transaction as "bla bla COSTCO bla bla bla". I have a column of possible Venders e.g. Apple, Amazon, Costco, etc. in a remote location on the spreadsheet in Column "J". The outer FOR loop is intended to proceed through the transaction descriptions. The nested Do Until loop cycles through the list of possible venders searching for a match using the "InStr" function. It matchs the transaction statement to the vender's name and place the Vender "Costco" in column "H" adjacent to "bla bla COSTCO bla bla" statement in column "J". The first discription statement is chosen by the For Loop and the Do Until loop cycles through the possible Venders, locates the proper vender and placing it into the proper column. From there I don't know how to get the routine to go to the next x. (I use long descriptive varrible names to help me keep track of what is what). Any help is greatly appreciated.

For x = 1 To NumDescripRows
ChosenDescript = Range("J" & TopDescripRow).Value 'Do Until TopDescripRow = BottomDescripRow

Do Until FirstVenderRow = LastVenderRow
Vender = Range("I" & FirstVenderRow).Value

If InStr(ChosenDescript, Vender) <> 0 Then 'i.e. There is a match, a positive result, True
Range("H" & TopDescripRow).Value = Vender 'Fills in the vender name in a column afjacent to Check description
FirstVenderRow = Range("I595").Row 'Resets the vender to the first in the Posssible vender list
'TopDescripRow = TopDescripRow + 1 'This is the I wound need to go to "Next x"

ElseIf InStr(ChosenDescript, Vender) = 0 Then 'No match, negitive result, False
FirstVenderRow = FirstVenderRow + 1
End If
Loop

'Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Next x
End Sub

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Just put "Exit Do" where you need to leave the Do Until Loop:
VBA Code:
        ChosenDescript = Range("J" & TopDescripRow).Value 'Do Until TopDescripRow = BottomDescripRow

If InStr(ChosenDescript, Vender) <> 0 Then 'i.e. There is a match, a positive result, True
                Range("H" & TopDescripRow).Value = Vender 'Fills in the vender name in a column afjacent to Check description
                FirstVenderRow = Range("I595").Row 'Resets the vender to the first in the Posssible vender list
                Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:

Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub
VBA Code:

Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub
VBA Code:

Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:

Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub
VBA Code:

Exit Do

End If
        Loop

Next x
End Sub
Thank you CephasOz, that worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back