Does anyone know much about routers?

Tracy - yes, Andrew's using it wired. I had a hell of a time setting up my wired router (for Linux, not for XP which worked like a charm straight out the box). Didn't help that my linux distro didn't work with my Nvidia ethernet chipset until I updated the kernel.

I have stayed off wireless setups because I only have one computer at home (actually have 2, but the other one is mothballed) and am never likely to have computers in more than one room - that is until the kids grow up and demand to surf of course!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If you have an ADSL connection, the router does not need to dial a connection. What it does need to do is connect to your ISP (you should have been requested for your ISP logon and password details in the router set up screens). Do you know that you definitely have broadband access? If it's thru TalkTalk, have they confirmed that the service is fully operational for you?

Yes, I deffinitely have broadband. It's been working fine for a long while. I've entered my ISP login details in the basic setup screen.

I'm considering phoning a local guy to come and set it up for me.. is that going to be worth it if it's going to be problematic more often than not? Would it be wiser to take it back while I'm still within my 30 day right to return?

Thanks Tracy that wireless-n looks good, just a bit faster than original broadband speed, but then i think, if i wait 6 months, there will be 4mb wireless connections, and wireless setup wizards that mean u can plug in your router(to the phone socket :p ) autoplay the cd click next, next, next, next, next, next, finish and voila! all done. :devilish: i love it when technology is made simple, its easier to take it for granted!

Yes, XP home.

What happens is I fill in the VPI/VCI info and so on.

I click "save settings" or whatever at the bottom.

It goes to a screen that says "rebooting router" and as the bar gets to about 50% a little bubble on my desktop pops up saying "local area network cable unplugged" or something like. - which I think is the computer reacting to the router rebooting.

I load up the internet explorer and it does not load any pages.

The connection speed was 100mb/s I think. It's deffinitely connected to the router, but I suspect the router won't dial the internet connection.

I'm going to be annoying, and ask you to go thru this process again, but when you load Internet Explorer, and you get no webpages, go into Start>Run, type "cmd" and do the "ipconfig /all >C:\ipc.txt" and post the results. The only info from that you might want to remove is the Physical Address (I think I'm right in saying that) as you are behind the router so none of the rest of it is likely to bring you harm.

Richard

I'm going to be annoying, and ask you to go thru this process again, but when you load Internet Explorer, and you get no webpages, go into Start>Run, type "cmd" and do the "ipconfig /all >C:\ipc.txt" and post the results. The only info from that you might want to remove is the Physical Address (I think I'm right in saying that) as you are behind the router so none of the rest of it is likely to bring you harm.

Richard

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANDREW

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **********

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ********

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : **********

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26 September 2006 17:16:26

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 September 2006 17:16:26

Andrew

This looks completely fine to me (it's what I have, different IP addresses of course).

Next try the following at the command line (where you typed ipconfig /all):

ping -a www.google.co.uk

and see what it says.

If it works, you should get something like the following:

Rich (BB code):
Pinging www.l.google.com [209.85.129.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.129.99: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=241

Reply from 209.85.129.99: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=241

Reply from 209.85.129.99: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=241

Reply from 209.85.129.99: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 209.85.129.99:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 35ms

which shows you have a working internet connection.

Richard

Next try the following at the command line (where you typed ipconfig /all):

ping -a www.google.co.uk

and see what it says.

It says "Ping request could not find host www.google.co.uk. Please check the name and try again."

I also got a message bubble a few minutes ago saying something like "the local area connection has limited connectivity. May prevent you from accessing the internet." Not sure what it said precisely.

Andrew

The first message means you don't appear to have a connection (at least, I think that's what it means). I think unless you can get someone who really knows their stuff to walk you thru the process (and probably sat with you at the computer) then you will struggle to resolve this. I'd be sorely tempted to get a replacement. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Sorry I haven't been much help :(

Richard

Andrew

The first message means you don't appear to have a connection (at least, I think that's what it means). I think unless you can get someone who really knows their stuff to walk you thru the process (and probably sat with you at the computer) then you will struggle to resolve this. I'd be sorely tempted to get a replacement. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Sorry I haven't been much help :(

Richard

No mate, you've been a big help. It's very kind of you to spend so much time trying to figure this out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back