dont open wb if macros are disabled

tamasteda

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
hello.
i have a major workbook that i have personal and banking infos and financial
i use a lot of code and many userforms.especially all project is with userforms.i dont see sheets at all
but in sheets background are stored as database all my infos
now i am working code to make it fancy so to have someone put a username and password so to open workbook as security
but my thought is that if someone take my file and try to run it from another pc if he disable macros will have access to my database of my infos
that means that userform will not be loaded and see sheets immediately
i tried to google it but there arent many topics about that matter.
a couple of them were suggesting to somehow if macros are disable sheets to be hidden
and a message to popup.
but for an excel expert to unhide sheets i guess will be easy
so thats all i wish to was understandable
and waiting to listen your opinions

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I would assume if macro are disabled you cannot run any code to prevent them from touching it. When you say if someone run it from another pc how would they access it?
If you have an host file that you open and that one run macro to open the 2nd hidden file then you could share first file to someone who has access to network drive where the 2nd file is shared for example and run the code into a scrambler so the file path isn't obvious?

That way you could share the first file only and it would only work for those who have macro activated but then I wonder if they could active macros only on the first file and when 2nd file is opened macro would still be off... hum while an interesting question I guess the problem is more about who/why are you are trying to limit someone else and couldn't you find otherway to block their accessing...

Upvote 0
The security mechanisms built into Excel are good for use with compliant users but they are not effective against malicious users.

You cannot prevent a file from opening if the user has disabled macros. One thing you can do is make all the data sheets VeryHidden so that a user cannot see these sheets without enabling macros, and entering the correct password. You must also protect your VBA project with a password so they cannot unhide the sheets. However, it is possible for a knowledgeable user to defeat these, crack your passwords, and see your data anyway.

You might try applying a password at the file level, which encrypts the file.

Upvote 0
i didnt mention but this wb i carry with me in a usb stick and may i open it from many pcs and public also.
i have a couple of ideas. first is when someone not authorised open wb to wipe all data
second to compile in exe as i have see in tutorials

Upvote 0
i didnt mention but this wb i carry with me in a usb stick and may i open it from many pcs and public also.
If this has truly private data, just don't do that. Never plug a USB with private data into a public PC or any PC that you do not have control over.

i have a couple of ideas. first is when someone not authorised open wb to wipe all data
It can't be done unless VBA is enabled.
second to compile in exe as i have see in tutorials
That actually could work. I have not used those but I am familiar with the features and benefits they advertise.

Check the last line of post #3 again.

Upvote 0
sorry for delay of answer
there is another idea to have the wb as it is but the data to be in external file and it might be access or another xls
and that to be protected

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daymo66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back