Macro Enabled Workbooks Suddenly Corrupting Regularly.

gallen

Hello.

I have posted this question with Microsoft here.

However, over the years, this has been my go-to site and I am thankful for all the help the users have given me.

In short at my company, I have several "code-intensive" workbooks that I have written. Suddenly they are crashing on opening and will not open unless I disable macros.

Historically - I had a similar issue and replacing the Active-X controls with form controls seemed to have fixed the crashes. Until now (from Decemberish)

I've just had a workbook crash that has not had any code changes for years. Disabling macros > compiling > reenabling macros sometimes fixes it and has got me back in but it soon crashed once again so I'm going to have to export the code modules and build a new one.

I'm just wondering if other users are having similar issues? Is this a Microsoft update problem?

Just to confirm - I'm an above-average VBA user and have written a system that has worked for almost 10 years at my place of work. This is making my system almost unusable and could genuinely threaten my employment status if the system regularly becomes corrupt.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Sometimes workbooks, especially workbooks with VBA code, become corrupted. Sometimes they can be fixed, sometimes they cannot.
Unless you have some sort of issue with an Office/Windows update, it sounds like this is what may be going on.
Are you having the issue with any other Excel files? If not, I would say Workbook corruption is a likely culprit.

If repairing the workbook does not work, you will have to create a new workbook from scratch. You can copy over all your data and VBA code from the old workbook to the new one.
If workbook corruption was indeed the issue, that should fix it, and the new workbook should work going forward.

Upvote 0
Sometimes workbooks, especially workbooks with VBA code, become corrupted. Sometimes they can be fixed, sometimes they cannot.
Unless you have some sort of issue with an Office/Windows update, it sounds like this is what may be going on.
Are you having the issue with any other Excel files? If not, I would say Workbook corruption is a likely culprit.

If repairing the workbook does not work, you will have to create a new workbook from scratch. You can copy over all your data and VBA code from the old workbook to the new one.
If workbook corruption was indeed the issue, that should fix it, and the new workbook should work going forward.
Thanks Joe

I've since been pointed to this thread. It seems like I'm not alone and it is indeed an issue with an update.

Upvote 0
Wow, interesting. Thanks for posting back!
If true, that seems like a big issue that they would want to address ASAP.

Have you tried backing out of that update to see if that fixes it for you?

Upvote 0
Wow, interesting. Thanks for posting back!
If true, that seems like a big issue that they would want to address ASAP.

Have you tried backing out of that update to see if that fixes it for you?
Hi Joe -

My IT department is reluctant but this thing is stopping me in my tracks. I've requested it and it's now being discussed!!!

Upvote 0
Good luck! I hope that solves your issue.
Write back and let us know if it does.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back