Excel Crashes when I Save Any File

nolass

Whenever I tell Excel to save a file, almost any file, it crashes and the file becomes corrupted (0 kb and completely blank inside). It does not matter whether it's on my local drive or a internal networked drive (no internet access on this PC). Also, file extension does not make a difference (xls, xlsx, xslm)

I've tried:
  • Safe mode
  • Disabling all add-ins
  • Repairing office
  • Removing the Excel feature from the office installation and then reinstalling it
  • Completely uninstalling the entire Office package and then reinstalling
  • Disabled macros and/or commented out all macros in my default Excel workbook
None of the above have solved the issue.

On a few files, I was able to copy all of the tabs to a new workbook and then have the new workbook work correctly thereafter. However, I do have a few files that refused to work even after that.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and know how to fix it?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Just to add to this...
I've completely uninstalled Office 2010 and used the Microsoft Uninstaller Tool to make sure it was completely removed. Reinstalled and then tried to access my files again. Still, I'm having the same issue-crashing when saving.

Here are 2 issues that I've found in the event viewer.

Also, for reference, this is Excel 2010 SP1, on Win 7 Pro 64. Windows firewall is turned off and I do not have an antivrius running.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Information 3/19/24 3:36:47 PM Microsoft Office 14 Alerts 300 None Microsoft Excel
The document was saved successfully, but Excel cannot re-open it because of a sharing violation. Please close the document and try to open it again.
P1: 101076
P2: 14.0.6029.1000
P3:
P4:

I'm not sure why I'm getting this. To do this test, I moved the file to my local drive and took ownership of the file through Windows Security.

Here's the 2nd error:

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Information 3/19/24 3:05:48 PM Microsoft Office 14 Alerts 300 None Microsoft Excel
The file you are trying to open, 'aksiwhit 2024.xls', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?
P1: 101786
P2: 14.0.6029.1000
P3:
P4:

Upvote 0
Note that cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Redirecting
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Yes, this was me. I apologize for not posting the links or the updates. A coworker also posted the question to Reddit, but I don't have the link for that.

Just for an update here, the problem was caused by a 3rd party program that converts Excel files to executables. It had been on my PC for at least 4 years and never caused an issue. When the problem started, I had even disabled the Excel add-in for it, but the problem persisted. After uninstalling and reinstalling Office, the problem became limited to password protected Excel files.

In the end, uninstalling the compiler solved the issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back