Randomly Crashing Workbook

Pemdog

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi There, I have an excel work book that is loaded with complex VBA and macros etc. Recently, after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 it randomly will crash (I'm using windows 11 with office 365) and become corrupted and unuseable. Excel repairs it but all the macros are disabled and the sheet becomes useless. Now here is where it gets weird. If I email that corrupted file to my wifes computer (windows 10 and office 365 system) I can open the file and use it. I can run the Macros and full function of the file. Then I can email it back to myself and open it on my PC and it works again, no problem. The same file nothing has changed just been sent through the internet to my wifes computer and then back to mine. The crash happens randomly without any notice. Do you have any idea what is going on here? I am not a coder, I am an intermediate level user of excel, my workbook has been programmed by a guru. Any suggestions??? Its driving me mad. Thanks in advance guys!!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
It sounds like there might be an issue with the compatibility of your Excel workbook with Windows 11. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as changes in the operating system or updates to Office 365.

One possible explanation for why the corrupted file works on your wife's computer is that the version of Excel she is using may be more compatible with the workbook. It's also possible that the act of emailing the file somehow fixes the corruption issue.

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check for updates: Make sure that both Windows 11 and Office 365 are fully up to date. Sometimes, updates can address compatibility issues.
  2. Repair Office 365: Open the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and select Microsoft Office 365. Click on the Change button and then select the "Quick Repair" option. This will repair any damaged files or settings that may be causing issues.
  3. Disable Add-ins: Sometimes, add-ins or third-party programs can cause compatibility issues. Try disabling any add-ins that you're not actively using.
  4. Recreate the workbook: If none of the above solutions work, you may need to recreate the workbook from scratch. This can be a time-consuming process, but it may be necessary if the issue persists.
  5. Contact the workbook's creator: If the workbook was created by someone else, they may be able to provide insight or assistance in troubleshooting the issue. They may have encountered similar problems in the past and can offer advice on how to resolve the issue.
I hope these suggestions help you to resolve the issue with your Excel workbook. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back