What is causing Excel 365 to crash so often?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am literally getting to hate M$FT. Since upgrading to Office 365 and Windows 11, several office apps will hang/freeze or crash more or less often.

Excel is the worst. I just crashed on me. I had 4-5 workbooks open. I had rearranged some columns in a table and then decided I liked it better the way it was, so I did an Undo (Ctrl+z) 4-5 times when it crashed. I now have 9 files listed in the Document Recovery pane -- 2 versions of 3 and 3 versions of 1.

? Does anyone know why this is happening? It never or rarely happened before Office 365 and Windows 11. I have not changed the way I work.

? Is there anything I can do to minimize it (other than not using Excel)?

? Is there a recommend way to resolve the multiple version in the Document Recovery pane?

? I just learned that Excel has a Spreadsheet Compare facility. Is it as good as the one in Word? Any tips on how to use it? Can I use it to compare the versions in the Document Recovery pane?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Save often. Just before you're planning a big restructure, copy and save the file. Just after you get done with a clean update, save. Hard drive space is cheap. I don't like the document recovery; it simply doesn't resolve the problem. I often find that going back the last saved version is cleaner.

I had several workbooks with bad sheets. No matter how many times I repaired it, the problem came back. The message Excel gave me was Bin3 was corrupt. I had to go find Bin3 inside the .XLSB file to know which sheet was the problem, then I recreated that sheet from scratch.

I have recognized that when I create structured tables with many formulas or complicated formulas, excel crashes more often. I like structured tables, but I only use them for data that are values.

My $.02

Jeff

Upvote 0
If its any comfort you are not alone. Ever since I upgraded to Office 2021 I get persistent unexplained crashes & the latest issue is the VBA project does not always close with the workbook.
Also and just to make it a little interesting, today, Office decided that my legal licence key was now invalid - so I have spent the morning getting that sorted with MS.

Dave

Upvote 0
Save often. Just before you're planning a big restructure, copy and save the file. Just after you get done with a clean update, save. Hard drive space is cheap. I don't like the document recovery; it simply doesn't resolve the problem. I often find that going back the last saved version is cleaner.

I had several workbooks with bad sheets. No matter how many times I repaired it, the problem came back. The message Excel gave me was Bin3 was corrupt. I had to go find Bin3 inside the .XLSB file to know which sheet was the problem, then I recreated that sheet from scratch.

I have recognized that when I create structured tables with many formulas or complicated formulas, excel crashes more often. I like structured tables, but I only use them for data that are values.

My $.02

Jeff
I do save fairly often -- like you say before major changes and after they are working. I use a naming convention were I put the timestamp (yyyymmdd hhmm) in the name of the copy. But these crashes happen at odd times. I may be halfway through some upgrade and crash. My last saved copy would lose the half of the work I have done. It's maddening. I want to go back to XP.

Upvote 0
If its any comfort you are not alone. Ever since I upgraded to Office 2021 I get persistent unexplained crashes & the latest issue is the VBA project does not always close with the workbook.
Also and just to make it a little interesting, today, Office decided that my legal licence key was now invalid - so I have spent the morning getting that sorted with MS.

Dave
Yes, and I have the same problem with Outlook. I do not have the problem with any non-M$FT products. Grrrrrr...........

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back