Deprecated features and functions?

EdNerd

I am struggling with a group of workbooks based on a macro-laden templated originally created in XL2003 and Windows 2000, and updated / patched over the years. We are now using Office 365. And the Windows and server environments have likewise changed. Some of these files are now crashing Excel - but only certain files for certain users. I suspect it's a combination of old files in a new framework, security patches applied unevenly across our machines, and old formulas and VBA code that may not work the way they used to.

As "keeper of the flame" (that is, the only one here who has fought through the formulas and VBA to make these work), I have been tasked with rebuilding this template (formulas and code) so it works with the modern versions of Excel, Windows, and servers. I'm not a professional programmer, nor even a good computer nerd - I'm just the guy who did this the first time, so now it's mine to do.

I can't understand, much less do anything with, the Windows or server environments, and the same goes for the IT security stuff. (It was a really special day when we discovered they had blocked our macros from running when we opened a file stored on a server.) Is there a list somewhere of deprecated formula and VBA features and functions? At least I can search my workbooks for these and update what I can.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
With very few exceptions (such as FileSearch) deprecated features generally still work.

Upvote 0
Note that many times where errors occur on different computers/systems and VBA is involved, it is often due to missing VBA References/Libraries on those specific computers.
The way to locate that is to go to a computer where it DOES work, and go into the VBA Editor, and go the Tools menu and select References, and you will see something like this:

1702996275035.png

Note the items that are checked.

Now, go to a computer where it is not working, and repeat the process above, and compare the results.
Is there an item missing? If so, find it in the list and select it.
Note that if the version number is slightly different, just select the closest one (i.e. "Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library" instead of "Microsoft Office 16.0 Object Library")

Upvote 0
With very few exceptions (such as FileSearch) deprecated features generally still work.
Thank you for that. You've saved me from at least two days of Hide and Seek (or Search and Destroy!).
(I remember when FileSearch failed! Definite bummer!)

Upvote 0
Note that many times where errors occur on different computers/systems and VBA is involved, it is often due to missing VBA References/Libraries on those specific computers.
The way to locate that is to go to a computer where it DOES work, and go into the VBA Editor, and go the Tools menu and select References, and you will see something like this:

View attachment 103767

Note the items that are checked.

Now, go to a computer where it is not working, and repeat the process above, and compare the results.
Is there an item missing? If so, find it in the list and select it.
Note that if the version number is slightly different, just select the closest one (i.e. "Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library" instead of "Microsoft Office 16.0 Object Library")
Thank you for the reminder! I had forgotten about the References.
They are all there on my computer (where everything works, of course). I can't check it on the non-functioning machines, because as soon as we try to open one of these misbehaving files, Excel just crashes closed and takes every open file with it.

Upvote 0
Thank you for that. You've saved me from at least two days of Hide and Seek (or Search and Destroy!).
(I remember when FileSearch failed! Definite bummer!)
Yeah, I still miss FileSearch, wish they'd bring that back.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back