Now I am getting a "File in Use" error

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
When I got up this morning, my laptop was off. When I went to bed last night, it was running with quite a few programs open: Outlook (2-3 views), Excel (4-5 workbooks), Word (3-4 documents), Firefox (5-6 windows), File Explorer (4-5 windows), and one or two other programs.

Firefox was able to restore everything. Outlook seems to have recovered. Word seems to have recovered.

Excel did its usual crappy recovery where it shows me 1-3 versions of each workbook. I then have to try to figure out how to sort it all out manually. But today it has a new annoying twist. If I try to open any of the "recovered" workbooks, I get this error pop-up.

1708967570375.png

I did a little research and found this page:

It refers to this page:

It has a detailed step-by-step process for clearing this problem. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe? Does it work? Is there something better?

Thanks

I previously started this related thread, but thought this should be a new one:

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
There is a way to tell Windows which folder you want your Documents folder to be. I think it was a Registry Entry, not sure exactly what I did; so long ago. I created a new folder and redirected.

Upvote 0
There is a way to tell Windows which folder you want your Documents folder to be. I think it was a Registry Entry, not sure exactly what I did; so long ago. I created a new folder and redirected.
Ok. I'll look into that. Thanks

Upvote 0
In the future, if it persists, rebooting can solve it quicker.
I am going to mark this reply as the "solution" so that other readers can see that the immediate problem was resolved. But the underlying problem, which has to do with incompetence or arrogant inconsiderateness or both on the part of M$FT, remains.

ymmv

Upvote 0
But the underlying problem, which has to do with incompetence or arrogant inconsiderateness or both on the part of M$FT, remains.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a solution for that one. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back