Double click cell to relocate active cell

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

Each cell in an expanding named range "AnalysisRoutesList" in Col E has data validation, so when a cell is double clicked, an Information msgbox appears (OK, Cancel, Help) prompting me to double click the cell 3 columns to the left of the one I have just double clicked (Col B).

What I'd be grateful for is some code so when I double click any cell in the above named range (it expands by inserting rows within the range, not at the bottom), the cell in the same row in Col B is selected (or better still, double clicked).

(Double clicking a cell in Col B runs a search macro, but it fails to locate the correct cell fairly frequently, hence why I don't simply double click the cell in Col B - but I need to do it this way because the code associated with double clicking the cell in Col B runs perfectly every time when I double click AnalysisRoutesList cells first, then go back to Col B).

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Is this what you are trying (UNTESTED)?

Replace NameOfTheMacroToBeRun in the code below with the name of the macro which will run when the cell in B is double clicked.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    On Error GoTo Whoa

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AnalysisRoutesList")) Is Nothing Then
        Target.Offset(, -2).Activate
        Cancel = True

'~~> Change this to the name of the macro to be run
        '~~> When the cell in B is double clicked
        NameOfTheMacroToBeRun
    End If

Letscontinue:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Sid, thanks for taking the time to reply!

The existing macro isn't in a separate module, but another double click event (activated in Col B) in the same sheet, so I'm afraid I can't insert a name:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim foundRange As Range
    Dim searchStr As String

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
        searchStr = Replace(Target.Value, ".", "")
        Set foundRange = findRange(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, searchStr)
        If Not foundRange Is Nothing Then
            foundRange.Select
        Else
           'MsgBox searchStr & " not a valid route - route search function only", vbInformation, "Route Locator"
            MsgBox "Invalid search - double click ROUTE # cell only", vbCritical, "Invalid Cell Selection"
        End If
        Cancel = True
    End If
End Sub

Function findRange(searchRange As Range, findWhat As String) As Range
    Dim LastCell As Range

With searchRange
        Set LastCell = .Cells(.Cells.Count)
    End With
    Set findRange = searchRange.Find(what:=findWhat, after:=LastCell)
End Function

Upvote 0
In that case simply combine all of them. Some thing like this (UNTESTED). There is no need to select cell in Col B after all. Directly work with it.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

On Error GoTo Whoa

Dim searchStr As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim foundRange As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AnalysisRoutesList")) Is Nothing Then
        '~~> This is your range in Col B
        Set rng = Target.Offset(, -2)

'~~> Work with that range
        searchStr = Replace(rng.Value, ".", "")

foundRange.Select
        Else
            MsgBox "Invalid search - double click ROUTE # cell only", vbCritical, "Invalid Cell Selection"
        End If

Cancel = True
    End If

Letscontinue:
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub

Function findRange(searchRange As Range, findWhat As String) As Range
    Dim LastCell As Range

With searchRange
        Set LastCell = .Cells(.Cells.Count)
    End With
    Set findRange = searchRange.Find(what:=findWhat, after:=LastCell)
End Function

Upvote 0
Thanks Sid - I just tried that and when I double click Col B nothing happens. When I double click Col E I get the MsgBox "Invalid search - double click ROUTE # cell only", vbCritical, "Invalid Cell Selection".

What I'm trying to avoid is the intermittent - and incorrect "Invalid search - double click ROUTE # cell only" msgbox when I double click Col B. Double clicking Col E, then double clicking Col B runs the macro every time (but I can't figure out a consistent occasion when double clicking the range in Col B doesn't work and I get the msgbox instead) so the solution I'm looking for is to double click the range in Col B and instead of getting the msgbox, the macro automatically then double clicks the named range in Col E (which is the same range as Col B) and then Col B again and the Col B macro then runs.

Upvote 0
What my understanding was range "AnalysisRoutesList" is in Col E. When you click in that range, the "Find" should happen based on the range B in the same row. I think I may have misunderstood? Couple of questions.

1. What should happen when you click on a cell in Col B?
2. What should happen when you click on a cell in Col E?
3. Where is the range "AnalysisRoutesList"?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion Sid.

1. When I click on a cell in the current range B446:B470 (rows are added in between those cells, not below B470) the below code runs a search of the sheet (even though it only needs to search Col F) for the cell I have just double clicked but without the "." i.e. Rxx (where xx is a number between 1 and 99)
VBA Code:
searchStr = Replace(rng.Value, ".", "")

foundRange.Select
        Else
        End If

Here's what the range looks like right now:
DISTR(OUTE) #AVE TIME#RUNSROUTE DETAILS
2.2R.320:28:0218Cullingworth Road/Viaduct (up and down)/Halifax Road/Greenside Lane
3.0R.290:37:3812Cullingworth Road/Up viaduct/Down Station Road/Back up/Down viaduct/Halifax Road/Greenside Lane
4.2R.330:56:0455Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Station Road/Lane Side/Ling Bob/Wilsden Road/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
5.0R.341:08:1527Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Station Road/Lane Side/Ling Bob/Haworth Road/Shay Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
5.4R.351:12:4814Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Station Road/Lane Side/Ling Bob/Haworth Road/Shay Lane/Coplowe Lane/Cross Lane/Smithy Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
5.9R.551:15:403Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Rd/HARROP LN/Old Allen Rd/Back Lane/Shay Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
6.2R.471:21:4212Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Rd/Back Lane/Shay Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
6.5R.481:39:343Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Rd/Back Lane/Shay Lane/Cross Lane/Smithy Lane/Main Street/Bents Ln/Hallas Bridge
6.7R.411:27:029Cullingworth Road/Shay Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Harden Lane/Mill Hill Top/Wilsden Road/Mad Mile/Home
6.9R.541:26:136Haworth Road/Flappit/Brow Top Rd/Black Moor Rd/Denholme Rd/Trough Ln/Manywells Brow/Cullingworth Rd/Hallas Ln
7.0R.361:31:039Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Station Road/Lane Side/Ling Bob/Haworth Road/Wilsden Road/Cottingley Road/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Smithy Lane/Wilsden Road/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
7.0R.391:32:484Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Ling Bob/Haworth Road/Shay Lane/Coplowe Lane/Smithy Lane/Main Street/Harden Lane/Mill Hill Top/Wilsden Road/Mad Mile/Greenside Lane
7.7R.371:42:5825Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Station Road/Lane Side/Ling Bob/Haworth Road/Wilsden Road/Cottingley Road/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Coplowe Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
8.7R.421:53:151Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Harecroft/Ling Bob/Wilsden Road/Cottingley Road/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Coplowe Lane/Smithy Lane/Main Street/Harden Lane/Mill Hill Top/Wilsden Road/Mad Mile/Greenside Lane
8.8R.492:03:459Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Road/Back Lane/Wilsden Rd/Cottingley Rd/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Coplowe Ln/Crack Lane/Main Street/ Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
8.9R.561:50:044Cullingworth Rd/Haworth Rd/Flappit/Brow Top Rd/Black Moor Rd/Denholme Rd/Trough Ln/Halifax Rd Flappit/Haworth Rd/Turf Ln/Station Rd/Greenside Ln
9.4R.382:04:5623Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Harecroft/Ling Bob/Wilsden Road/Cottingley Road/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Coplowe Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Harden Lane/Wilsden Road/Mad Mile/Home
9.9R.522:16:084Cullingworth Road/Haworth Rd/Flappit/L Halifax Rd/Trough Ln/Denholme Rd/Station Rd (Oxenhope)/Moorhouse Ln/R Marsh Ln (Haworth)/Sun St/Bridgehouse Ln/Brow Rd/Brow Top Rd/Haworth Rd/Turf Ln/Station Rd/Greenside Ln
10.4R.142:31:1730Hallas Br/Down Bents Ln/Up Harden/Smithy/Lee Farm/Black Hills/Golf Course/Beck Foot Ln/Wagon Ln/Up LLC to top of 5-Rise Locks/Back to 3-Rise Locks & over Br/Brown Cow/Main Rd home
10.6R.462:22:0124Cullingworth Road/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Road/Back Lane/Wilsden Rd/Cottingley Rd/Lee Lane/Cross Lane/Coplowe Ln/Crack Lane/Main Street/Harden Ln/Mill Hill Top/Wilsden Rd/Mad Mile/Greenside Lane
11.4R.502:49:063Hallas Br/Down Bents Ln/Up Harden Lane/Smithy Ln/Lee Farm/Black Hills/Golf Course/R Beck Foot Lane/Wagon Lane/Up LLC across first jctn to post/Back to 3-Rise Locks & over Bridge/Brown Cow/Main Road all the way back
12.1R.532:41:366Cull Rd/Hwth Rd/Hfx Rd/Trough Ln/Stn Rd (Oxen)/Hebden Br Rd/Shaw Ln/Moorside Ln/Reservoir Rd/Sun Ln (Stanbury)/Main St (Sladen Br)/West Ln/Main St (Hwth)/Brow Rd/Brow Top Rd/Hwth Rd/Turf Ln/Stn Road/Greenside
13.1R.513:16:133Hallas Br/Bents Ln/Harden Ln/Smithy Ln/X Ln/Blackhills/Golf Course/Beck Foot Ln/Wagon Ln/Down LLC to Hirst Wood Lock (to post)/Back up, past 5RL to 1st road jct./Back down & over 3RL/Brown Cow/Main Rd home
15.4R.573:43:206Hallas Br/Bents Ln/Harden Ln/Smithy Ln/Lee Fm/Blackhills/Golf Course/R down Beck Foot Ln/Wagon Ln/Up LLC, over Granby Ln jct & round cannon/Back to 3-Rise Locks & over Br/Brown Cow/Main Road home

And here are 3 examples of the R numbers (without the ".") that it's searching for:
ROUTE R55 (5.95M, LOGGED AS 5.9M) - Cullingworth Rd/Viaduct/Stn Road/Old Allen Rd/Harrop Ln/Old Allen Rd/Back Lane/Shay Lane/Crack Lane/Main Street/Bents Lane/Hallas Bridge
ROUTE R56 (8.9M) - Cullingworth Rd/Haworth Rd/Flappit/Brow Top Rd/Black Moor Rd/Denholme Rd/Trough Ln/Halifax Rd Flappit/Haworth Rd/Turf Ln/Station Rd/Greenside Ln
ROUTE R57 (15.4M) - Hallas Br/Bents Ln/Harden Ln/Smithy Ln/Lee Fm/Blackhills/Golf Course/R down Beck Foot Ln/Wagon Ln/Up LLC, over Granby Ln jct & round cannon/Back to 3-Rise Locks & over Br/Brown Cow/Main Road home

3. Range "AnalysisRoutesList" is all the rows below the ROUTE DETAILS heading, including the blank row below them.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
So here is my understanding... Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. When you double click in Column B then you want to replace "." with "" in Route# and then search that in Col F and if found select that cell.
2. When you double click on the named range then, it should pick up the value of cell B in the same row and then replace "." with "" in Route# and then search that in Col F and if found select that cell.

And if my understanding is correct then try this

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

On Error GoTo Whoa

Dim searchStr As String
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim foundRange As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AnalysisRoutesList")) Is Nothing Or _
    Not Intersect(Target, Columns(2)) Is Nothing Then
        findRange Range("B" & Target.Row)
        Cancel = True
    End If

Letscontinue:
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub

Function findRange(rngRange As Range) As Range
    Dim searchStr As String
    searchStr = Replace(rngRange.Value, ".", "")

Dim foundRange As Range
    Set foundRange = Columns(6).Find(What:=searchStr, _
                                Lookat:=xlPart, _
                                LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                                SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
                                MatchCase:=False)

foundRange.Select
    Else
    End If
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cleaned up code Code

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

On Error GoTo Whoa

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AnalysisRoutesList")) Is Nothing Or _
    Not Intersect(Target, Columns(2)) Is Nothing Then
        findRange Range("B" & Target.Row)
        Cancel = True
    End If

Letscontinue:
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub

Function findRange(rngRange As Range) As Range
    Dim searchStr As String
    searchStr = Replace(rngRange.Value, ".", "")

Dim foundRange As Range
    Set foundRange = Columns(6).Find(What:=searchStr, _
                                Lookat:=xlPart, _
                                LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                                SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
                                MatchCase:=False)

foundRange.Select
    Else
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0
Hey Sid that works great, thank you!

Would it be possible for you to modify your code just slightly, so if I get the error when double clicking Col B, then it automatically runs the same search function in the named range in Col F as if I double clicked it myself, instead of me needing to manually double click it myself?

Thanks again, you're almost there!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back